Buck Owen's guitarist Don Rich...RIP...7-17-1974

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Donald Eugene Ulrich,(Rich-stage name) best known by the stage name Don Rich (August 15, 1941 - July 17, 1974) was a country musician who helped develop the Bakersfield sound in the early 1960s. He was a noted guitarist and fiddler, and a member of the Buckaroos, the backing band of country singer Buck Owens.

On July 17, 1974, after finishing work at Owens' Bakersfield studio, Rich was killed in a motorcycle accident. He had been en route to join his family for vacation on the central coast of California. For unknown reasons, his motorcycle hit a center divider on northbound Highway 1 at Yerba Buena Road in Morro Bay. He was pronounced dead at 10:37 that evening. California Highway Patrol officials stated that there were no skid marks and no apparent mechanical problems. Reports indicated that Owens had pleaded with Rich not to take his motorcycle that day and had been pleading with him for years to quit riding.

Owens was devastated by the news, and for years did not talk about Rich's death. In a late 1990s interview, Owens said, "He was like a brother, a son, and a best friend. Something I never said before, maybe I couldn't, but I think my music life ended when he died. Oh yeah, I carried on and I existed, but the real joy and love, the real lightning and thunder is gone forever.

Don Rich used primarily Fender guitars and amps. In the early days, Don would play Buck's ’51 Telecaster through a Bassman amplifier. In 1964, Fender gave Buck Owens an endorsement deal and the band gained instruments. Don received a Telecaster that had both its body and headstock finished in champagne metal flake in addition to having checkerboard binding on both sides of the guitar's body. The band received Fender amplifiers as well, so Don played through a Twin Reverb amplifier.

Buck and Don received new guitars in 1966, a pair of Silver Flake Telecasters that were double bound in plain black. Also around 1966, Buck had Bakersfield guitar repairman/technician Gene Moles finish another set of guitars in Red White and Blue. Fender would also give Don a Gold Sparkle Tele in the late 60's that was bound in plain black. It had no finish on the headstock.

Fender's deal with most of their artists was that they would exchange their instruments for new ones every 7 years or so. Buck refused to return the instruments given to them by Fender, so Fender stopped giving them instruments. Gibson picked up on this and in the early 70's they struck up a deal with Buck. Don received an ES-335 as well as a Les Paul Professional model.

Buck and Don would later go back to playing their Red, White and Blue Telecasters.

Rest in Peace Don.

Cohiba

Last edited by a moderator:

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a kid in Nashville during Don's funeral, That place was packed with entertainers! He was very well respected and rightfully so!

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. Memory lane. I grew up on Uncle Buck's music. I even had a plastic red, white and blue guitar as a small boy. Great story. I learned something. Thanks, Cohiba.

Latest posts

Top Bottom