Bullet casting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fatcpa the answer no matter where you live is or might be the same..
Old tire shops..any tire shops...scrap iron recycling places..Ebay and craigslist.

I had some 38 special ammo my gun did not like and i traded this for lead tire weights. i also traded some .22 long rifle for wheel weights.
Standard iron sometimes has it in OKC.

Old plumbing or heat and air companies may have lead shower pan or lead pipe..roofers sometimes have lead flashing..

May look for old newspaper or printing shops.
keep putting the word out and you will end up with some..In the last year i have got about 150lbs off of craigslist.

That will only make 5,250 200gr bullets.
That is if it wase all clean and pure...figure about 4,500 bullets after the steel and crap is removed

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really shouldnt say this because I dont want anyone cutting into my supply & I havent even learned what I need to start casting yet, lol.. but I found dentists that still use the lead strips for the Xray machine have LBS of them laying around... I havent had one turn me down yet.

..stay out of oklahoma city thats my territory, :P lol. Hahaha.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember if you're using straight lead it's soft.
Great for black powder bullets, a tad bit soft for centerfire.
WW make great pistol caliber bullets for the most part.
But when you start exceeding those velocities you'll need gas checks and tin/antimony for added hardness.
But to be honest outside of my big bores and really fast rifle rounds WW work fine.
I keep most of my rifle rounds in the more pleasant velocities.:rolleyes2

Here's another places to look.............................................................................................................................................................................................auto salvage yards.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is an enjoyable hobby that helps stretch your shooting dollars.
I generally cast in the spring and fall, but some in the summer too.
This allows me to be able stay busy in the winter.
I suffer from cabin fever a lot.........

Lyman book is a great resource. Like most forms of ammo reloading reading the book first is a definate.

I've owned and used most brands of molds but for the shooting I do these days the Lee moulds work just fine.
Lubing and smoking them makes all the difference in the world on how they throw bullets.
A lot of guys prefer the 6 holers, but I kind of prefer the single and double hole moulds.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is an enjoyable hobby that helps stretch your shooting dollars.
I generally cast in the spring and fall, but some in the summer too.
This allows me to be able stay busy in the winter.
I suffer from cabin fever a lot.........

Lyman book is a great resource. Like most forms of ammo reloading reading the book first is a definate.

I've owned and used most brands of molds but for the shooting I do these days the Lee moulds work just fine.
Lubing and smoking them makes all the difference in the world on how they throw bullets.
A lot of guys prefer the 6 holers, but I kind of prefer the single and double hole moulds.

Well I know what brain Ill be picking when I have some questions that cant be answered down the line... lol..

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like reloading it's a pretty simple process.
But safety in extremely important as you're dealing with molten metal.

Ask me how I learned how a barely damp chunk of lead will explode and send hot lead all over the place...... on second thought don't ask. Just don't put damp, wet, moist, etc lead in a pot of hot lead.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just like reloading it's a pretty simple process.
But safety in extremely important as you're dealing with molten metal.

Ask me how I learned how a barely damp chunk of lead will explode and send hot lead all over the place...... on second thought don't ask. Just don't put damp, wet, moist, etc lead in a pot of hot lead.

silver fireworks! it can and has happened. casting really puts minimal dollars to work when it comes to saving money. just like loading though, casting is not for everyone. hope you enjoy it.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What really sucked was it was in the middle of August during a recent drought. Who would have thought there was any moisture anywhere within 500 miles of here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom