Can I polish the slide??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, all of you "it will rusters"......

You can polish it, whether it rusts depends on how you treat it and your usage.

I had a pistol that I polished in preparation for blueing in my safe for several years, and amazingly it didn't rust!!! If you polish your slide properly, and don't carry it in a sweaty pocket, or dip it in water, or get sweat all over it and occasionally use some good polish on it, it won't rust.

Is this the best way to do this? No, but can you do it and get decent results? Yes.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just buy a polished slide for it (Hint: PM me, I have an extra polished SS 92 Slide)

Or

Trade/sell yours and buy an original 2 tone (Hint: PM me, I have one of those, too...)

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve, while you are correct that it takes time for a polished part to rust, the parts start oxidizing on the surface pretty quick. In fact, when bluing, once you polish (carding to be specific), the part needs to be blued within two hours because of the surface changes that begin taking effect.
but, you are right that if you keep it wiped down, bare carbon will last for a while, but it wont stay as pretty as it once was. I've got a frame sitting "in the white" in my safe now that is waiting for a project that I don't think has any surface rust on it yet, but I was assuming this gun would be shot a lot after the polish.
Man, all of you "it will rusters"......

You can polish it, whether it rusts depends on how you treat it and your usage.

I had a pistol that I polished in preparation for blueing in my safe for several years, and amazingly it didn't rust!!! If you polish your slide properly, and don't carry it in a sweaty pocket, or dip it in water, or get sweat all over it and occasionally use some good polish on it, it won't rust.

Is this the best way to do this? No, but can you do it and get decent results? Yes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom