Casting bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a while) and I can't seem to find much info on casting bullets. I've reloaded for quite some time and have decided I'd like to cast my own lead. I have a few thousand pounds of lead sitting out in the shop and figured its time to put some to use. Most of what I have are ingots of reclaimed bullets but I also have quite a bit of pipe, flashing, etc. I will be casting bullets for a 9mm and was wanting to know if there is a tool/gauge to measure the hardness of the lead. If so what hardness (Is that even a word) should it be? Thanks for any help.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hardness testers can be had for a little or a lot - on the low end is the lee tester (midway, or orther reloading suppliers $58.99) mid range is the Lead Bullet Tech tester $100 and high end is Saeco tester( midway $153.99 ).
Hardness range to aim for is around 12-15 or Lyman #2 aka hardball -- 2% tin 6% antimony 92 % lead .

You should pick up the lyman handcasting book to help you out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or after you made some ingots and cast and shot a few different hardness levels you can test pretty close to
what will work with your fingernail..so scratch test will work.

Make up some bullets..say 20 or so..lube them and shoot them..inspect the barrel for leading.
Of course You need to get the size correct also..and the lube makes a difference.
The lead pipe flashing and shower pan lead is too soft for the 9mm Good for a muzzleloader.
You can add to that lead and make it harder though.

Wheel weights i found are best for me...I cast for my 30-30 and 45acp and 357mag using wheel weight lead.
I can cut the wheel weight lead with 50% soft lead if i keep velocity slow..under 800fps

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Ill get me a hardness tester and a Lyman hand casting book to get me started. I've poured more sinkers, jig heads, etc. then I can remember but fireing something that ive made trough a pistol is a little intimidating.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find some used linotype it's great for adding the tin & antimony you need to add the hardness you're looking for.
But like said pure lead is too soft for anything but front loaders.
I've been lucky over the years and found the ingot of higher tin/antimony on ebay for cheap.

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of the Linotype but haven't been able to find it locally yet. These reclaimed bullet ingots seem incredibly hard so Im hoping I may be able to mix them with my soft lead to get what I'm needing. I guess the next step is to get a hardness tester to know for sure.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My soft lead ingots when i drop them on the concrete garage floor go "thump"
the wheel weight ingots Go TING...
There is a lead hardness test that uses a bottle cap and a bearing or BB.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of wheel weights are now made from zinc instead of lead. When you are melting lead the zinc weights will float on top of the lead. Get them out of there before they melt.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the Lyman casting manual. You may want to go with a gas check bullet. You can load a little faster ammo with a gas check. You will need a bullet sizer. Make sure you have GREAT ventilation in you casting area. I used to cast outside with a coleman stove. Get a casting thermometer too. You will be more consistant with one. Take your time and be safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom