Casting session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well today I have cast 300 .41 magnum bullets from my Saeco mold and I have cast 500 .45 acp bullets.

Here are a few of the samples
45 on left and .41 on the right.

image-267360463.jpg

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee LRN 230gr

With my straight wheel weight mixture that is water quenched when dropped from the mold they will drop 232-234gr on average.

I will push them down the barrel at 800-900 fps.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nice casting..
I am due for a session myself..I have found my 45acp bullets group tighter if i mix my wheel weight lead with soft lead.
50-50 mix works really well and zero leading..pure soft leads up the barrel and tumble when fired.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Straight wheel weights combined with Lee Alox bullet lube has never failed me or let my barrel collect lead in the .45 acp.

I will have to work up my load for the 41. Mag using straight wheel weights, lee Alox, that are gas checked.

I figure I should be able to run my bullets at 1300-1400 FPS without issue.

The only reason I water quench is to handle my bullets a little quicker.

I need to put together a another session .223 for AR.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the lee alox also, even in my 30-30..the 30-30 groups best with straight wheel weights.
I water quench mine also..i have found soaking a towel in ice water and let bullets drop on that works just the same as a bucket of ice water with a rag in the bottom

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the lee alox also, even in my 30-30..the 30-30 groups best with straight wheel weights.
I water quench mine also..i have found soaking a towel in ice water and let bullets drop on that works just the same as a bucket of ice water with a rag in the bottom

With this method the bullets will be hard on the side that touches the towel and as cast soft on the other, think about it.
The water quench needs to be the same all around the bullet not just on one side. Also the bigger the bullet the bigger the difference.
I've been casting for over 30 years and have never water dropped anything I cast. I do oven heat treat a few of the smaller bullets
I cast, as in 22's for my AR and some 30's for my M1 G.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good point Calamity Jake.
Lead will harden over time..air cooled lead is in fact softer and will harden over time more % than water dropped.
This is why i water drop...I towel dropped a couple times...kept pouring ice water on the towel so bullets fell in a wet towel puddle ....but i can see one side being harder..

As long as we kill what we shoot at it is all good ..
but i do like accuracy best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom