Centennial of Bodyguard for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned a wheel gun, but am looking at possibly purchasing my first this year as a summer CCW or BUG.

Which S&W snubbie do you guys and gals consider best for CC? Do you prefer the Centennial or Bodyguard versions? In your opinion, what are the advantages of one over the other.

Please opine...

My choice is a 442 Centennial but I would not recommend it to you because..."I've never owned a wheel gun". An alloy J frame can have pretty violent recoil with most good self defense ammunition. It's my choice because I have been shooting revolvers for over 50 years. It's also a great "back-up" for my preferred CCW, which is a lightweight snub .44 Special. Another advantage to the 442 is that you can purchase them new, without the infamous "lock". That may or may not be important to you now that the "plug" is available.

If you have lots of semi-auto experience, a small 9mm, like a Kahr PM9, might be a better choice. I also carry SIGs and find the PM9 a great little pocket pistol back up. Accurate with mild recoil.

If you have not had a lot of experience with a revolver, and must have one, I would recommend a steel K frame. They are not for the pocket but you can IWB one easily under a T shirt, even with a 4" barrel. You won't get turned off after your first shots with one of these. There is a vast difference in the amount of recoil between these and a J frame Airweight.

Now, double action or single action - ? The old lawman that taught me to shoot in the 50's told me there is no reason to shoot a Smith single action unless you are looking for food for the "Pot". I have J thru N frames and shoot them all DA 99% of the time, even at the range. With experience, and practice, you can shoot DA well and if you ever need a wheel gun in a defensive situation you can bet it will be DA. The problem with the Airweight J frames is they will kick you so hard you will not practice much and won't gain that expertise. Here is my idea of a perfect beginners revolver. A .38 Special K frame DAO...

[Broken External Image]

Just my opinion (tempered with over 50 yrs revolver experience)

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My choice is a 442 Centennial but I would not recommend it to you because..."I've never owned a wheel gun". An alloy J frame can have pretty violent recoil with most good self defense ammunition. It's my choice because I have been shooting revolvers for over 50 years. It's also a great "back-up" for my preferred CCW, which is a lightweight snub .44 Special. Another advantage to the 442 is that you can purchase them new, without the infamous "lock". That may or may not be important to you now that the "plug" is available.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so could someone PM some info on this "plug" for J frames?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for the Centennial

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3240007.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom