Change .40 Sigma to 9mm with barrel and mag change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THE ANSWER
The Sigma magazines and magwells are different widths.
They don't interchange, simple, end of story, won't work. Can't get a .40 mag into a 9mm frame with a sledgehammer. 9mm in .40 frame is way loose.

The Sigma 9mm barrel more or less fits in the .40 slide, but the case heads of 9mm and .40 (and the slide cuts) are different. Even if you could get 9mm to feed from .40 mag, the looseness in the slide cuts makes it unreliable.

Have been asked this question about switching Sigma parts 2,146 1/2 times (approximately).

Same answer every time: buy both guns if you want both calibers: under $300 each with rebate currently offered.

Reaction score
Appreciate the information...my brother and some friends have SW40VEs but not the 9mm model, so haven't been able to do the 'stare and compare' on this. The cost of the barrel and magazines via Midway or other take me over $100 shipped anyway...I'd buy another pistol before I spent $100 on a few parts for one gun.

Thanks,

Pat

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THE ANSWER
The Sigma magazines and magwells are different widths.
They don't interchange, simple, end of story, won't work. Can't get a .40 mag into a 9mm frame with a sledgehammer. 9mm in .40 frame is way loose.

then the grip of the gun would be wider then also right?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am holding both a 9mm Sigma mag and a .40 S&W Sigma mag in my hands.

The 9mm mag is 0.812" wide.
The .40 Sigma mag is 0.864" wide.

The 9mm Sigma mag is 2.45" from the base plate to the mag catch cut.
The .40 Sigma mag is 2.55" from the base plate to the cut for the mag catch.

Do the math.

Latest posts

Top Bottom