Cheap BOB Knife/ Under $30?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey EZ, what do you think of the Cold Steel Bushman? I got a couple of them, seem pretty functional, did some paracord on the handles. Seem pretty sturdy too.

Honestly, it's a good knife for $20. I personally like a few of Cold Steel's products (despite their cheesy marketing) and my favorites are their value-priced knives.

That being said, SK5 steel is getting down to the bottom of what you really want in a knife steel and the Bushman is at a Rockwell of about 54 which is extremely soft. I still subscribe to the theory that softer is better in the survival knife world, but there is a point where you get too soft to maintain an edge (or too soft for a knife is made with stamped steel hollow-handle construction). I don't think the bushman is past that point of being too soft, but it's pretty close.

The Bushman has survived more than a few torture tests on the net though, and most folks in the knife community seem to regard it as a high value knife, so that says a lot.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you have to ask yourself what type of knife you really need and what type of performance you expect from it? Just a knife is one thing but care and maintaining it in the field? Ease of sharpening? is it made of super steel that has a really high Rockwell rating? have you actually used it in the elements? Is it comfortable? Versatile enough to be used for all tasks if needed? that being said here is some good information for you...

Ka-Bar knives. A)The Traditional Mk2 is actually a pretty strong knife if you are able to get an older model from early war years like WWII and Korea. The Mk1 deck knife is even better as a true user. being tool steel they are easy to sharpen and hold a decent edge after you get them profiled to your preferred cutting angles. You can find these on ebay all day long. the current style of the Ka-Bar fighting knife is not really suited for use anymore, the current issue Ontario Marine Combat 498 model is a better choice at $55.00. Being 1095 tool steel it should last a lifetime and holds a good edge.

B) The Becker Series from Ka-Bar are one of the best choices period for an all around outdoor do it all knife. I have used Becker's for years. I have no doubt the Becker's will do it all.

Frost of Sweden. The Mora knives are epic outdoor knives. It is very hard to find a Mora that cant do what needs to be done when it needs to be. I have found the Mora 2k and the Clipper are great users. Scandi Grinds offer ease of blade care and keep very sharp for very long times. I have yet to find a Frosts cost more than 30.00 hell you can get 3-4 for that price really......

Cold Steel. I hate hate hate the marketing they do. Aside from that the Bushman and Mini Bushman have shown that they are very capable knives in the field. I have a mini bushman in the patrol car and used it more than once for delimbing trees and clearing debris after the tornado last year in Guthrie.

Looking at steel choices I would suggest staying in the common tool steel category 1055, 1085, 1095, O1, D2, A2. Easy to sharpen and easy to keep sharp. Less high maintenance than some of the more exotic steels. Bear in mind that D2 and A2 are the most finicky of the tool steels.

Blade length is another area to look at. What are you really comfortable with? Too long and you limit the use to heavy duty cutting and grunt work. Too short and you go in the opposite direction. A good blade in the 5-8 inch range used wisely will cover most of your outdoor needs.

Keep the blade thickness down. To thick and you will never cut anything or be able to achieve a good cutting angle.

These are just some things to think about when purchasing a knife that you could potentially use in the worst situations. I have gone over these points many times myself and choose knives that fit my requirements.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/10

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

http://www.knifeworks.com/beckerknifeandtool-2.aspx

http://www.knifeworks.com/coldsteelfixedblades.aspx

George Washington Sears AKA Nessmuk advocated the use of three cutting tools. The Hatchet or small axe, a fixed blade of moderate size and a small folding multi blade knife of some sort. The Nessmuk TRIO. This is his suggestion.

NessmukTrio.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom