Cheapo Tac Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a cheap tac light at Sams yesterday.

I don't know a thing about them... but here are the specs:

160 Lumens XRE LED.

Anyone know what all that means and if it is bright enough for home defense purposes?

B

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been a few threads about those flashlights.

They say that 120 lumens is bright enough to be momentarily blinding, so it is bright enough.

I would put it in the "better then nothing" category, but i would probably still shell out for something a bit more robust.

- something you know won't break
- something that is built to withstand being used as a striking instrument
- something that has a "edge" to the front of the light to make it a more effective striking instrument
- something that has an easy to operate tail switch
- something that you can use a variety of lanyard options with

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If these are the "Element K2" they are good flashlights for the money ($13 each?) but not to be relied up. Over time I've had about a 50% failure rate...the contact on the top of the battery carrier comes loose. They probably could be reglued if I could guess a good match to the plastic; I just haven't messed with it yet. But as secondary flashlights, they are bright and it is nice they use AAA batteries.

For home defense, consider the Surefire Nitrolon G2 as the most basic starting point.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love my Coast Tactical Lenser (90 lumens) It runs on 3 AAA's and will last forever one setting, one button, no frills. $39 at Home Depot.

I have a K2 as well but it is a little bigger than the Coast and not near as bright!

Latest posts

Top Bottom