Clean out the freezer shoot and eat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, (102 degrees) we went to a friends house in the country and had our annual, wild game clean out the freezer cookout, and clay bird shoot.
Every year several families that hunt dig around the freezer and see what all is left from last season and grill it up. Prior to the grilling session, we brought shotguns, and went through 5 cases of clay birds. My buddy has an Atlas automatic, wireless thrower with wobble, so it makes for a fun shoot. Everybody got in well over a hundred rounds each, so it was a good shoot. The ones missing the clays, got the razzing they richly deserved:D
Later on, we had bacon wrapped dove, venison cheese and jalepeno summer sausage, bacon wrapped, venison tenderloin, Venison stroganoff, grilled whole mushrooms and a table full of home made salsas, and other condiments. I ate untill almost getting sick, but it was wonderful:D:D

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, (102 degrees) we went to a friends house in the country and had our annual, wild game clean out the freezer cookout, and clay bird shoot.
Every year several families that hunt dig around the freezer and see what all is left from last season and grill it up. Prior to the grilling session, we brought shotguns, and went through 5 cases of clay birds. My buddy has an Atlas automatic, wireless thrower with wobble, so it makes for a fun shoot. Everybody got in well over a hundred rounds each, so it was a good shoot. The ones missing the clays, got the razzing they richly deserved:D
Later on, we had bacon wrapped dove, venison cheese and jalepeno summer sausage, bacon wrapped, venison tenderloin, Venison stroganoff, grilled whole mushrooms and a table full of home made salsas, and other condiments. I ate untill almost getting sick, but it was wonderful:D:D
thanks for the invite buddy. i still have a buck head in my freezer from 2008,guess i could have boiled it and made tamales

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my favorite time of year! It should be a national holiday. We do the same thing but usually a couple weeks before dove season. Dove season in my family is a right of passage. There's nothing like having a BBQ and when everyone one asks what to bring, it's the standard "case of clays and a case of shells". I can't wait to start the hunting season and refilling the freezer. I just love taking game and eating what you shoot. Started going to town on the remaining venison in my freezer too! Love not having to ration everything out. Out with the old in with the new. :spaghetti:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We'll be shooting clays every weekend now getting primed up for the start of dove season
30 more days!:D
Usually this time of year, Acadamy sells shotgun shells by the case really cheap. If any of ya in the big cities see them come on sale, post it up please. My buddy is in sales and gets to Tulsa and OKC every week. I need a couple more cases of 7/8 oz 20 ga dove loads. Reload the 12's.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason I got into skeet was so I could hit a dove. Now I don't have time for skeet, but I still make time for dove. My first dove hunt since I was about 14 was in Kiowa county, and I think I killed two birds with most of two boxes of shells. Humiliating. So, to the skeet range.

First practice round, broke five birds. Out of 25. In the company of a 14 year old kid with a .410 Citori, shootng from the hip! And he hit them all . . .

I wouldn't have ever gone back, but they finally told me he was the national .410 champion that year . . . Never did get to where I could beat him at anything, but scared him a time or two.

All my game from last season is now hanging over my belt (gotta do something about that). One of my new neghbors has a super dove spot on his farm up near Enid, and we are going to go on opening day. I think of all the hunting I do, dove are still my favorite.

I once limited on 14 shells! With a 28 ga. I'll be happy to limit at all, and if I can hit one for two, that'll be just fine. Things change . . . CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always wanted a 28 ga. I looked at the new Benelli superlight 28, but the $1900 price tag sure made me into a tire kicker and not a buyer. Generally use a mod choked Rem 1100 light 20 on dove. Everything else gets the 12ga.
Good luck around Enid. Lots of birds in that area. I was at the farm yesterday morning working on food plots, and saw around 200 sitting on the high lines and in the trees coming down in the neighbors stubble field. It should be good if he doesn't start tearing up the ground too soon.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fay, OK, has a "beast feast" every year...I think sometime in October, where all the local hunters clean out their freezers, and cook up their own game right at the feed which is held at the old Fay school. It is a really neat event. Very laid back...all the family comes..there's an old playground for the children to play on. You're free to drink a beer while you mingle. The weather's always great. It's held most of the day, but I generally go a little before dark. It's open to the public. There's a wide variety of sides, and desserts, and iced tea for those who want it. All that's asked is a free-will donation which goes toward the upkeep of the old school which is now a community center.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast. I've never hunted doves. However, I've been known to lay the smack down on crows. In fact, I got so into last season I bought decoys.

www.crowbusters.com forum really got me into it. I plan on taking some more out this season. I do want to try doves next.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast. I've never hunted doves. However, I've been known to lay the smack down on crows. In fact, I got so into last season I bought decoys.

www.crowbusters.com forum really got me into it. I plan on taking some more out this season. I do want to try doves next.

Figurativly speaking, I've eaten a lot of crow over the years, but that crowbusters.com actually has recipes for them:confused:

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ive been getting worked up for crow season, need to get my dekes out and touch them up, need to load some shells, need to get another speaker....I guess I need to get busy...:rubhands:

Latest posts

Top Bottom