Colorado theater lacked security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100% of the blame lies with the shooter for the mayhem. However, I've always been of the opinion that if you prohibit a lawful CCW permit holder to enter the premise with their firearm, you should assume a certain level of responsibility for the security of your patrons & employees. To do any less is chickens&!t.

I agree with the blame part, even if there are variables in the equation the act is still completely on the shooter.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something that I have not read anywhere is this "was the theater a gun free zone?"
Were there signs posted saying no concealed carry?

Dave

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just sent the following to AMC Theaters (the numbers of permit holders and states that allow CCW have increased since 2008):

"Hello,

I just wanted to remind you of a letter I sent to you back in 2008 regarding no weapons signs in your theaters; seems I was right.

January 4, 2008

To:
AMC Theatres

Hello,
I’m writing to express my disappointment and surprise at finding a “No Weapons Allowed” sign on the door of your Theatre in the Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City.
I have an Oklahoma permit to carry a concealed weapon, and choose to do so for the defense of my loved ones and myself.
I’m sorry to learn you have decided I shouldn’t have that right while in your establishment.
I will be glad to spend my money somewhere else.

The “no guns” sign on your theatre makes it illegal for concealed carry permit holders in Oklahoma to enter your establishment. 54,705 people in Oklahoma have received permits in the last 5 years, and you’re saying to all them they not welcome.

Perhaps you don’t realize what people in Oklahoma go through to get a Concealed Carry Permit:
• An 8 hour training course
• Demonstrate the safe handling of a weapon on a firing range
• Finger printed by the Sheriff’s office
• Background check by the OSBI
• Background check by the FBI

Concealed Carry permit holders have proven to be more law-abiding than the general population. There are now 36 states that have concealed carry laws. The irrational fear of “gun fights at traffic lights” has proven completely unfounded.

Unfortunately we have all learned lately that “no guns” signs do not prevent disturbed individuals from shooting innocent people in shopping malls. We’ve also learned that the police cannot be in all places at one time, and usually several people are killed or wounded before the police arrive.

Studies show that allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons reduces crime. Do you realize that putting a “No Weapons Allowed” sign on your front door is simply an advertisement to criminals saying “defenseless people in here, come on in and do as you please”?
Criminals will ignore the sign and do as they please.

My hope is that you will reply telling me that you have reconsidered and removed the sign. If I don’t hear from you I will do my best to tell others like myself that we are not welcome in your place of business.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just sent the following to AMC Theaters (the numbers of permit holders and states that allow CCW have increased since 2008):

"Hello,

I just wanted to remind you of a letter I sent to you back in 2008 regarding no weapons signs in your theaters; seems I was right.

January 4, 2008

To:
AMC Theatres

Hello,
I’m writing to express my disappointment and surprise at finding a “No Weapons Allowed” sign on the door of your Theatre in the Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City.
I have an Oklahoma permit to carry a concealed weapon, and choose to do so for the defense of my loved ones and myself.
I’m sorry to learn you have decided I shouldn’t have that right while in your establishment.
I will be glad to spend my money somewhere else.

The “no guns” sign on your theatre makes it illegal for concealed carry permit holders in Oklahoma to enter your establishment. 54,705 people in Oklahoma have received permits in the last 5 years, and you’re saying to all them they not welcome.

Perhaps you don’t realize what people in Oklahoma go through to get a Concealed Carry Permit:
• An 8 hour training course
• Demonstrate the safe handling of a weapon on a firing range
• Finger printed by the Sheriff’s office
• Background check by the OSBI
• Background check by the FBI

Concealed Carry permit holders have proven to be more law-abiding than the general population. There are now 36 states that have concealed carry laws. The irrational fear of “gun fights at traffic lights” has proven completely unfounded.

Unfortunately we have all learned lately that “no guns” signs do not prevent disturbed individuals from shooting innocent people in shopping malls. We’ve also learned that the police cannot be in all places at one time, and usually several people are killed or wounded before the police arrive.

Studies show that allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons reduces crime. Do you realize that putting a “No Weapons Allowed” sign on your front door is simply an advertisement to criminals saying “defenseless people in here, come on in and do as you please”?
Criminals will ignore the sign and do as they please.

My hope is that you will reply telling me that you have reconsidered and removed the sign. If I don’t hear from you I will do my best to tell others like myself that we are not welcome in your place of business.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,

Well constructed and supported.
I commend your activism for writing the letter back in 2008.
I should get off my lazy butt and do the same.

I agree with your stance, although the second "I told you so" letter probably won't change anything.
It may be useful to let them know there are 'no-guns' stickers except when authorized by law.
This would allow them to replace as many stickers as they like, and also allow CCL holders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom