Colt Peacemaker...4 3/4 barrel or 5 1/2 barrel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 5 1/2" will probably be more accurate but not due to barrel length specifically. The accuracy gains will be due to the length of the sight radius, which in this case is tied to barrel length. If you took the sight radius out of the equation the accuracy would almost be same out of both barrels.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth... in a SAA gun, length will have a greater bearing on balance-in-hand than any thing else.

You will gain a few FPS velocity.. and yea, sight radius in longer. I like the 5 1/2" for shooting.(plinking, target work).. but prefer the 4 3/4 for carry. The shorter guns are a tad faster out of the holster...and for off-hand snap shooting I've never seen any losses compared to the longer Colt pattern pistols

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth... in a SAA gun, length will have a greater bearing on balance-in-hand than any thing else.

...but prefer the 4 3/4 for carry. The shorter guns are a tad faster out of the holster...and for off-hand snap shooting I've never seen any losses compared to the longer Colt pattern pistols

Sounds like you were born about 150 years late, Jeff. :respect:

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get one of each. I've always like the 5.5, although I had a 7.5 once and it was just a pleasure to shoot. Each increase in sight radius will usually increase your accuracy a bit.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get one of each. I've always like the 5.5, although I had a 7.5 once and it was just a pleasure to shoot. Each increase in sight radius will usually increase your accuracy a bit.

This^^^^

When I was doing CAS (Cowboy action shooting) you had to have two to compete. Got one of each. Kept the 4 3/4" Vaquero in the cross draw holster and the 5 1/2" in the hip holster on my right side. Each stage required drawing from the holster. Thinking back on it I have to agree with Jeff. The 4 3/4" one did draw a bit faster and probably should have been in the hip holster instead of the crossdraw.

Fun times...

Ahhh... CRAP! Now I'm thinking of taking it back up again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom