Concealed Carry permits and the current anti-gun attitude

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwmckie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
CC permits are issued by the state, in keeping with the state's law. Is there any possible way that the federal government may try to circumvent state laws and seek control over who is approved and who is disapproved for a CC permit? I heard people asking this question while waiting on their background checks to go through, and I'm not really sure if this is even possible. And do the individual states share their CC permit issuing info with a federal government agency?

Dwmckie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The background check goes through the FBI already.

I wasn't sure on this, but thought this was the case.

I do understand that a lot of this is all conjecture, but considering how much further things have gone lately, more people than I are wondering. So anyone with a CC permit will have gone through the FBI. Wonder if they are keeping a record of such checks? And how will we be viewed by the federal government for having a permit?

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think the first volley in this latest anti gun war will be waged against "assault rifles" and semi auto long guns. I'd think they have the fearmongering momentum now and will test the waters with AR AK and the like first.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hang on. State law determines under what conditions one is qualified. FBI only reports on what criminal records they have or don't have on a given individual. They don't get to decide anything. X set of fingerprints return Y information, and X name and DOB return Y criminal records or not...

Then OSBI determines whether anything that was returned from FBI disqualifies an applicant from being issued a license.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hang on. State law determines under what conditions one is qualified. FBI only reports on what criminal records they have or don't have on a given individual. They don't get to decide anything. X set of fingerprints return Y information, and X name and DOB return Y criminal records or not...

Then OSBI determines whether anything that was returned from FBI disqualifies an applicant from being issued a license.

Sure, keep on dreamin'. When they run a triple "I" through the FBI that's serious stuff. I'd place bets on the stroke the FBI has with tellin' the OSBI not to proceed.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of Carry Permits. I have a hypothetical. What would be wrong with a state refusing to recognize a federal law? Isnt there a federal law on the books now that prohibits firearms within school zones, but yet there is a school district in Texas that allows conceal carry by administrators?

jrc9596

Marksman
Reaction score
Speaking of Carry Permits. I have a hypothetical. What would be wrong with a state refusing to recognize a federal law? Isnt there a federal law on the books now that prohibits firearms within school zones, but yet there is a school district in Texas that allows conceal carry by administrators?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Here it is. On the fed/state issue, think practically......only the locals could enforce it, the feds just don't have the manpower.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Being licensed by the state where the school is located is an exemption to the GFSZA. It's in the law.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Kind of like a state allowing pot to be legal?

Latest posts

Top Bottom