Cuttin' Hay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I spent many, many hours dragging an IH 990 moco around a hayfield, listening to the rhythmic tunka-tunka-tunka of the paddlewheel turning and the tika-tika-tika of the sicklebar going back and forth, then the Zzzzzzz of the ratchet gear on the compression rollers as they spun down after kicking the PTO out of gear. My grandpa always said haying was the hardest kind of farming there was because you had to do it when the hay was ready, and it was ready in the hottest and driest part of the summer. He was right, and it was hot, dirty work, but by God, I do miss it. This is the first time in years that I haven't even sat in the saddle of a tractor or greased an implement. I even miss that...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see it very well in the video, but it looks like an International 706. Still have one that I used for pulling the drills, and light spring toothing. Simple tractor. Engine, clutch, transmission, rear end and tires.
None of that fancy stuff.
Hated putting up hay because it meant I had to get up early and feed. Didn't matter if it was rain or storm, one had to feed.
Quit running cattle because I had to put up hay every year.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used a swather and then raked the hay after the inevitable thunderstorm. We had an old Massy baler and I couldn't even tell you what model. Putting up hay, I could load bales all day in the heat but you get me inside a closed barn with all that swirling hay and the humidity and I went bugs.

I couldn't wait for the end-of-the-day beer.

We got a nickel a bale every time we touched a bale. Those 75 to 100 pound alfalfa bales you didn't want to touch very often.

Sometimes, I hauled hay by myself by putting the 59 Apache in granny and letting her idle with the door open so I could steer while I bucked the bales into the bed.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I miss those days. I do not miss the work so much, but I sure wish I was in the shape and health I was back then. With my ribs and all I doubt I could throw a 50 lb bale up to the 3rd level of the trailer let alone an alfalfa bale.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I miss those days. I do not miss the work so much, but I sure wish I was in the shape and health I was back then. With my ribs and all I doubt I could throw a 50 lb bale up to the 3rd level of the trailer let alone an alfalfa bale.
That reminds me of Garrett Medicine Bear. He was a big old boy. Dad employed him one haying season but he was always showing up drunk. One day he was bucking bales with Dad driving and I was on the truck stacking. I was three tiers up and I heard an OOOF! I looked up in time to see a bale fly over my head missing the truck completely.

The next year we bought a pop-up loader.

Latest posts

Top Bottom