D.p.m.s. .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstevens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a DPMS .308 rifle with a 16" barrel. I don't know a thing about them. Looking for pros and cons. How well do they work, do they function ect.... Thanks for your info.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They work just fine. All the ones I have played with are 1 M.O.A. rifles. Matter of fact I have abrand new 16" barreled upper with a carbon fiber full length free float tube I am trying to sell if you come up with a lower and bolt and carrier.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have one and I have only had 1 issue with it. The barrel was a tent state that would only shoot 2-3 MOA at 100 no matter what kind of ammo I fed it. I replaced the barrel and now it's .5 MOA.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one IS NOT a tent stake

Attachments

• post-1176-126522893569_thumb.jpg
    post-1176-126522893569_thumb.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 233

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't the DPMS come without a forward assist?

Granted I've only "needed" it a couple of times, and that was in the desert with a wet M-4 before we're started heating on miltech, but I'm so used to slapping it on a fresh mag that I'd miss it :lookaroun

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the LR-308C with the 20" barrel. I thought it was too heavy, with an unnecessarily heavy barrel... I was wanting a battle rifle in the league of the FAL or M14. It was really accurate though... I could shoot 1 MOA from prone unsupported with it. But I can do that with my M1A, and it is a good bit lighter and more comfortable to carry around!

I know they make a couple versions of the 16 inchers... one has a heavy barrel like mine did, and it is pretty front-heavy. If you're expecting it to be a light little carbine you might be disappointed. They also make one, I think they call it the AP4, that has more of an M4 profile barrel and is lighter.

Just be aware that by getting a .308 with a 16" barrel, the cartridge burns a good bit of its powder after the bullet leaves the bore, which results in reduced velocity/max effective range, and produces a huge flash and muzzle blast that says, "here I am!" -- especially in low light. I've never really seen the point in a 16" .308, but they seem pretty popular. I wouldn't want a .308 with anything less than an 18" barrel myself. FWIW.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't the DPMS come without a forward assist?

Granted I've only "needed" it a couple of times, and that was in the desert with a wet M-4 before we're started heating on miltech, but I'm so used to slapping it on a fresh mag that I'd miss it :lookaroun

They have forward assist as an option when you order the gun.

I have a 24" stainless bull barrel on my DPMS 308. It is long and heavy, but I'm not using it for combat. I've just went out with it once to get it sighted in and haven't really tried to go for an ultimate group yet, but it seems to be plenty accurate.

Kurt,
Shoot me a PM with your price. I looked in the classifieds but didn't see it.

jstevens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the info. The reason for wanting one is, well I just want one. A nother is I do want to start working out on my off time, and carbine curles are a good place to start. Just kidding. I did go hunting last weekend And I took my approximately 18 lbs m40 a3 with me. If I would have seen a critter he would at most have been 100 yards away. A little over kill with the m40. I love the info so far. This would be lighter. The 18" may be the way to go, but I'm still leaning to the 16" for now. By the way I will be posting some good stuff for sale. So I need you guys to buy it so I can start on this rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom