Defense ammo for .32 S&W Long?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm (hopefully) getting a funky snubby revolver* soon from my grandfather. I've been looking for something that I can carry in a pocket, I can't afford a nice Smith and Wesson J-frame right now, and this is just about the right size.

My only concern is terminal performance. I believe that the lower bound for reliable stopping is .38 Special in a revolver and .380 ACP in an automatic, and what's worse is that the 2" barrel length will really hurt velocity. I suppose this is better than nothing though. Does anyone know of a hollow point round in .32 S&W Long that will reliably expand, or should I just load up with wadcutters and call it a day?

*The gun is that make and model, not the one pictured in the thread.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm (hopefully) getting a funky snubby revolver* soon from my grandfather. I've been looking for something that I can carry in a pocket, I can't afford a nice Smith and Wesson J-frame right now, and this is just about the right size.

My only concern is terminal performance. I believe that the lower bound for reliable stopping is .38 Special in a revolver and .380 ACP in an automatic, and what's worse is that the 2" barrel length will really hurt velocity. I suppose this is better than nothing though. Does anyone know of a hollow point round in .32 S&W Long that will reliably expand, or should I just load up with wadcutters and call it a day?

*The gun is that make and model, not the one pictured in the thread.

I don't think you have a ton to be concerned about - the bullet will fly fast enough - and do enough damage. You shouldn't be shooting 15+ yards with it in a real life situation as there are other alternatives. I'd just try to find a good soft hollowpoint for this weapon

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you have a ton to be concerned about - the bullet will fly fast enough - and do enough damage.

I don't think that it will though. According to Wikipedia, which cites Hodgdon load data, the velocity out of the thing is around 718-765 feet per second. This guy claims that he can get about 800. 32 ACP can have problems getting expansion from hollowpoints and it runs a good 100 FPS faster than that (although the bullets are about 20-30 grains lighter...I don't know what relationship bullet mass has to expansion). If the hollow points won't expand, then I'll basically be running LRN through the thing which I don't want. Wadcutters or Keith bullets would at least make a more jagged hole.

The problem is that not many people seem to like this round anymore so ballistic test data are hard to find. I'm not about to buy & calibrate my own ballistic gelatin, but I suppose I could tear up some milk jugs down at the plinking range...

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really enjoy the 32 S&W Long. I bought a fair amount of ammo from ldp4570. I could probably spare a little of it if you end up needing some.

I've found good prices in a few places on the Internet so I should be fine. Thanks though.

I like the idea of running a smaller caliber in a snub, in theory, because pushing less lead out of that tiny gun means less recoil and easier followup shots. However, the only revolvers I've shot are my grandpa's S&W 1917 and my dad's Dan Wesson Target Monstrosities*, which are all built like tanks, so I have no idea what a snub in any caliber is like.

*Seriously, .38 Special out of one of those feels like shooting a .22, and its .22 caliber brother feels like a paintball gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom