depriming live primers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a case full of messed up cartridges that I loaded. I plan to pull them all apart and salvage the cases and bullets. Can I deprime them using my Dillon SDB safely and then re-use them?

They are Federal Magnum Small Pistol Primers.

B

Bubber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blutch, You can and if you are using them in an auto there should be no large problem. In a Revo it may make a slight difference if the action has beeen lightened. if they are not deformed I usually pull the bullet, (with an inertial bullet puller) and add powder and bullet again without depriming. But if you need to resize you can either pull out the decapping pin and resize the cases and load on the SBD. That way you don't go through all the motions just to dump the powder as it is a auto indexing machine. Just my thoughts. Later rdd

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Be careful, federal primers are softer than most and tend to be more sensitive to going bang. How many are you talking about? I'd probably sell the brass as primed brass before extracting too many live primers myself...

Good luck,

Alan

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are for auto rounds and some of the primers are not seated correctly. So, I need to salvage the primer if possible.

B

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1. But if you do need to deprime, I do it with a dedicated depriming die and just be gentle. They should come right out and I have always been able to reuse them.

Dang, I've been reloading for many years and never heard of a depriming die.
I've always pulled the bullet with a collet style puller, and snaped the cap in the weapon it was designed for.
I see where you say they can be re-used.
Ever had any back out after reloading the pushed out primers? Just looking for more info:D

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, I've been reloading for many years and never heard of a depriming die.
I've always pulled the bullet with a collet style puller, and snaped the cap in the weapon it was designed for.
I see where you say they can be re-used.
Ever had any back out after reloading the pushed out primers? Just looking for more info:D

I imagine what DG is talking about is a universal decapping die. I have one (Lyman) which I hardly ever use. However, over the years, I have pushed out (carefully) quite a few primers with the standard sizing/decapping die and never had a problem. Notice, I did say carefully!

Latest posts

Top Bottom