Derringer Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My uncle used to have nickel finish mother of pearl handled .22 derringer. The barrels rotated, never knew what brand it was.

A lot of people favor .22 LR and mag for derringers, and I am one of those who is not skeptical of this round. The .22 is terribly underestimated. There is no doubt in my mind the .22 will penetrate better than a .38, I compare the .22 to being stabbed with an ice pick and the .38 to being slammed with a baseball bat. The ice pick is more deadly. This is a terrible comparison, but to me the only reason for carrying a derringer is to buy time to access the IWB holster and bring the Glock to bear. I think getting slammed with a baseball bat would buy a couple of seconds, as opposed to being neatly drilled with the more deadly ice pick. It comes down to a matter of choice, based partially on shot placement; if it's a moving struggle with you fighting two people - one on top of you and one kicking you, can you get a head shot with that .22?

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely do not want a derringer for a main carry gun. Not even sure I would want it as a backup. I really was wanting one for demonstration purposes. I figured I should get something useful in the process.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I definitely do not want a derringer for a main carry gun. Not even sure I would want it as a backup. I really was wanting one for demonstration purposes. I figured I should get something useful in the process.

I wouldn't have one for backup either. This is for when they say, "Give me your keys!" Well, guess what's down there with the keys?

[Broken External Image]

If you get in the habit of carrying one of these enough, you can easily pull the gun, hidden by your hand, and the keys out of your pocket at the same time, and "accidentally" drop the keys onto the ground. Where do you think the eyes will go? Just for a moment.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally I poo-poo the idea of derringers,,,
But I've finally seen a great use for one of those thin things.

A friend of mine finally got her carry permit,,,
She purse carries a Bersa Thunder as her EDC weapon,,,
A while back her father-in-law gave her the .38 derringer he carried.

In the console of her car is a place meant to hold a cell phone,,,
Her derringer fits in there like it was designed for it,,,
She can get it out of the pocket very easily.

So now she has a weapon "ready at hand",,,
To cover it she simply places one Kleenex tissue over it,,,
Personally I think it was very astute of her to think of using that slot.

No one can tell there is a gun under the tissue,,,
In fact it looks like that is the place she places a used tissue until it's disposed of.

If I were a burglar I don't think I would look under a snotty tissue,,,
I would ransack the glove compartment but not that tissue.

Personally I think a derringer is a terrible defense handgun,,,
They are so small it almost takes two hands to cock them,,,
And the trigger pull on the ones I have fired is atrocious.

But they do minimally satisfy the first rule of a gunfight,,,
Which is to have a gun.

So a derringer is not for me,,,
But a NAA mini revolver might be in my future,,,
Because I have a cell phone slot in my center console as well.

Just a thought,,,

Aarond

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the cobra's, had 22 mag and one in 38

I dont know if it was a malfunction but the 38 you crank it once = top barrell, twice= bottom barrell, and for some reason on the 3rd crank it shot ...Both barrells....SURPRIZE

I liked the 22 mag , seemed more controlable....(and No surprize)

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had a Bond 45LC for years. Keep .410 shot shells in it for snakes and I love it.

How is the recoil on that Bond using .45 LC? I have wondered. The Bond offers modern safety features from what I understand, too. If I ever see one at the pawn shop, I'm going to get it right there on the spot.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is the recoil on that Bond using .45 LC? I have wondered. The Bond offers modern safety features from what I understand, too. If I ever see one at the pawn shop, I'm going to get it right there on the spot.

So....how are you gonna arrange your new ...4 gun set-up?..... ;)

Couple of nice little Hand guns you have there

Latest posts

Top Bottom