Diablo "pellet" Slug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One "problem" you can have when shooting hollow base slugs, is the carrier wad itself being forced into the base of the slug on firing because of the pressures involved. This can absolutely destroy the accuracy of most any hollow base slug!

One way to eliminate this problem though, is to fill the base of the slug with Hot Glue. This gives the slug a solid base to wad contact, thereby allowing the full accuracy potential of most any hollow base slug design.

IMG_20211014_160441.jpg

IMG_20211014_155236.jpg

When filling the base of the slug with Hot Glue, go slow and make sure there are no air bubbles in the Hot Glue. A properly filled base should look as good as or better than the slugs posted above.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious if ya have any updates on your testing? I am about to dive into slug and buckshot loading myself for the first time and have a sweet spot for that big ole “pellet” mold. (Reminds me of the tens of thousands of Em I used to sling out o my old pellet rifles haha).

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Filling the base of the slug with hot glue, in all tests proved to be more consistently accurate, and at longer ranges, vs. that of slugs without hot glue in them.

I have killed nearly a dozen deer with the pellet slug, and all were bang flop! All deer were shot high in the front shoulder.

Several guys that I have loaded these slugs for have used them on black bear with excellent results.

A lot of guys in Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas are using these slugs on hogs, and out to 75, I have heard the phrase "Hammer of Thor" mentioned more than a few times...

At least with these .690 pellet slugs, teflon wraps and roll crimps do not produce very accurate slugs, from a lot of barrels tested.

Some wads produce better accuracy than others, and depending on each specific barrel, some barrels shot best with a heavy card wad in the base of the wad, and other barrels shot best without it! Only testing different loads in each specific barrel, will let you know what each barrel prefers.

Also, some barrels shot best when the lighter weight slugs were pushed to 1,600+ fps., while others preferred a faster and heavier slug. Then of course there was the occasional barrel that shot slow and heavy slugs the best.

It's all just trial and error when loading slugs, just like loading for a pistol or rifle, some loads shoot better than others...

These were some of the best powders tested -

Red Dot

Herco

Longshot

Blue Dot

SR4756

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom