Do you clean and your brass with each use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I polish mine to a mirror finish.
I will say this, I used to buy the "brass polish" that the reloading mfg suggested, untill I got on OSA.
Now I use car polish, the cheaper the better, it works great!

Does the polish do anything to help performace or is it for cosmetics only?

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll break the mold. I don't go to extremes cleaning any of my brass. I've used polish before, and I still use that rag to wipe the brass down before loading it, but I don't worry about a mirror finish. I've been doing that for several years with no problems. The load still shoots .5 MOA. Obviously that doesn't apply to black powder cartridges.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much prep as I do on my rifle brass you dang right I clean it, but I'm pretty bad as I decap and tumble then resize and tumble. I even run my bullets thru the tumbler to get the film off of them.

Pretty shiney rounds shoot better :-) Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the polish do anything to help performace or is it for cosmetics only?

Cosmetics, but then again, if its brighter, its smoother, and in my mind, it will cycle through the dies without getting stuck? I don't know, but it seems to work for me.

I did read on one forum that some "know it all" stated that one does not want to tumble loaded ammo becuse it can cause all sorts of problems.
The Owners of Several ammo manufactures replied they tumble all of their loaded ammo before sending it out to customers. They said they had done lots of testing, and saw no problems doing this.

I have some rifles that don't get shot often, but cycle them all thru each deer season.
This year, it will be the year of the 06, and .270. I have rounds loaded several years ago that have become tarnished.
That really doesn't matter in a bolt gun, but its just me....

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OCD ME? nah just lots of time on my hands :-) I just try to eliminate all the variables so I can only blame myself if I don't make hits and I only do this with my 308 rounds the others well I'm not that picky. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom