Do you like WW2 Pacific Naval History?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got Silent Service when I first got my Nintendo back in '91 or something like that. It was a pretty good simulation considering the technology! This Silent Hunter looks like a lot of fun.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give a rundown for anyone really interested in these games
Silent Hunter 3: takes place in the Atlantic. Very fun to play but gets old since you cannot refit and the patrol missions require just sitting in a quadrant for a while. Also, the DRM is quite aggressive and this causes the game to be buggy. The upside is that this game has incredible moments and you can hunt to the theme of Das Boot without being confused. Plus German tech was better early on. This game has depth in regards to boats and tech. You can start out in 1939 in a little Type 2, or make it tough on yourself in the advanced 1944 subs. Your sub may be advanced, but so are the Allies.

SH4...the American campaign in the Pacific. Some versions will come with an add-on which allows you to play U-boats based in Penang...which is a little known part of the war and pretty cool. This game is very stable, has never crashed on my Vista laptop. Its old enough it will still run on older machines. The graphics are outdated these days but are more than sufficient. They didn't miss much in this game. There's more capital ships, the missions include commando delivery, airman rescue, cargo delivery, recon, and normal combat patrol. You can also raid harbors in this installment. Overall, a massive improvement on an already amazing game. I'll put up some pics after tonight's mission.

SH5...back to the Uboats. Better graphics and so on since its newer. I heard it was buggy, doesn't matter, my Toshiba won't run it anyway.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful if you do a google search for Silent Hunter 4. Just had to clean that silly fake Windows security center virus off my laptop. All I did was click on what was suppose to be a YouTube video of Silent Hunter 4 and bam I was had.

I don't like running resident anti virus and am usually careful enough to not have any issues but broke one of my own rules searching for a durn game.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was Youtube it could have happened searching for anything.

Anyway, here are some more screenshots:

Perth-Fremantle Harbor...homebase

Max angle during a drill emergency surface:

Emerging from the depths...run silent, run deep:

About to deliver my commandoes:

Off they go...armed with Thompsons and Wellrod pistols I'm sure:

Got myself a destroyer too!

Finally, one of those pesky Mk14s...this one turned out to be a dud...Had about 40% failure rate on this mission.

Here are safe links:
http://www.subsim.com/sh4/silent_hunter4.php
And a guy on Youtube killing a Shokaku carrier:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom