Does the Earth Rotate...Saudi Cleric states..NO!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

My Cajun buddy in Houston sent this to me. He thought I'd get a little "chuckle" out of this since I have a few Science degrees....:smash:

Does the modern Islamic culture really believe this???

Poor, poor Galileo.....July,1633 was not a good time for Galileo. Between the Roman Inquisition and offending the Pope, he had no chance for his Heliocentric Theory and had to RETRACT his theory.

July 1633, concluded with his being threatened with torture if he did not tell the truth, and RETRACT Heliocentrism.

The sentence of the Inquisition was delivered on 22 June. It was in three essential parts:
Galileo was found "vehemently suspect of heresy", namely of having held the opinions that the Sun lies motionless at the center of the universe, that the Earth is not at its center and moves, and that one may hold and defend an opinion as probable after it has been declared contrary to Holy Scripture.

He was required to "abjure, curse and detest" those opinions........or be tortured.

He was sentenced to formal imprisonment at the pleasure of the Inquisition. On the following day this was commuted to house arrest,(he was real lucky) which he remained under for the rest of his life.

His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future.

According to popular legend, after recanting his theory that the Earth moved around the Sun, Galileo allegedly muttered the rebellious phrase And yet it moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom