dove hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems the cold snap we had with the 50 degree nights on Sept 2 drove them south in our area.
I was planting wheat fields, and putting in food plots for 5 days straight, and saw three dove total after season opened.
the week before season opened, saw 200 on the highlines and stubble field.

We are going to go again, wed or thursday and see what happens.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems the cold snap we had with the 50 degree nights on Sept 2 drove them south in our area.
I was planting wheat fields, and putting in food plots for 5 days straight, and saw three dove total after season opened.
the week before season opened, saw 200 on the highlines and stubble field.

We are going to go again, wed or thursday and see what happens.

I've got the day off tomorrow so I'm going to get out and see if I can get anything. I've still yet to see any this far south. Even a couple weeks ago there was nothing at one of the maize fields they have at the Blue River WMA. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a different story altogether.

beer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been out four time and the number of birds I've seen is sad. I will say however that each time I've been out, and all in the same public field, the numbers have risen. The last time was Sunday evening and we had a decent time the first hour. Now don't get me wrong, numbers were pathetic compared to the last few years. I didn't get to go today but while driving around I saw more birds around the wires than I've seen all season. I'm hoping that the out-of-towners are just now showing up.

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went this last weekend to far southwest okla and the numbers of birds are way down from what they usually are. I hunted friday evening to sunday morning and got 39. Could have limited if I was hitting good but still the bird numbers were not very good. The best hunting was over wheat stubble with mesquite nearby. Ponds were so so and pretty sporadic. I too think the weather has srewed them up so maybe the rest of the season will be better if the weather will cooperate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom