DPMS Lr-308b for hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerodoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this gun with hunting in mind and dont see why it wouldnt be awesome for it but have been reading stuff, probably from idiots talking about how the 16" bull barrell on this gun isnt long enough to get the velocity needed to hunt with. Just gatherin thoughts??? Personally after shooting it i think it couldnt be much better and probably am wasting time writing this but since i did what do you guys think?

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under 550 yards I think it'd be just fine. I only say 550 cause I wanted to pick a random yardage to prove the ignorance of the statement that you can't hunt with a 16" barrel. Don't believe everything you hear.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GEEEEE....all the hogs I have shot with a 16" DPMS .308 seemed to .....well.....die. I guess it would be okay, but I disagree with the 550 thing, I would put it closer to say 547.33.....Just saying!

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GEEEEE....all the hogs I have shot with a 16" DPMS .308 seemed to .....well.....die. I guess it would be okay, but I disagree with the 550 thing, I would put it closer to say 547.33.....Just saying!

547.33... are you sure, I'm thinking 549.2...

a 308 with a 16 barrel will do fine... go shoot a hog..

Nope I'm sure it was 550, y'all should go calibrate your range finders.

In a brief amount of googlin' I found around 250 fps loss from 22" to 16". That isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

aerodoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it was a dumb statement and not something i should have even posted but still never hurts to ask. This gun is wicked and i love shooting it. I dont believe everything i hear and never thought for a second that it wouldnt be a great hunting rifle but some of the stuff i read put a little doubt in my mind because of the short barrel. All my other hunting guns have longer barrels is why. Thanks anyway ill try not to shoot anything over 549.2 yards:laugh6:

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it oughta do justfine. hell, my uncle killed a 190 lb buck 2 years ago that was about 225 yds away with a 30 30. neither of the bullets went all the way through, but the deer still died

Latest posts

Top Bottom