Drop leg tactical style holster legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably only ever use a dlh out in the woods, hiking or hunting (where/when legal to carry a pistol). Only time I would consider it in urban areas would be shtf type situations.

Transmitted via tactical telecommunications device.

As an avid outdoorsman I wouldn't want one. Hiking through deep brush, crawling over fallen trees, etc. they would just be very impractical. I think they are really best left on movie prop sets where they belong.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than being a target of ridicule by certain members on this forum, can you elaborate on why it's not a good idea or practical? Don't leave him hanging. If he's thinking of running a thigh holster then give him your opinion why it's not a good idea or practical.

That's a fair statement ...

I'll say this about those holsters -- I've seen a few officers wearing them (small town guys, every single time) and my immediate observation was not a single one that I saw had any kind of retention mechanism on it. Now, I dunno if they make them with retention mechanisms or not, but that just seems like it's begging for trouble if you ask me. The second thing I noticed was that they were worn so low that it looked like the guys (even the one with Neanderthal arms) would have had to bend over to draw their gun. That didn't seem to practical either.

All that said, I've never even tried one on so my observations were strictly of the "intellectual" sort ...

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a guy wearing khaki pants and a black polo shirt wearing one.

He was helping another fellow transfer from p/u to p/u a Jogging/ treadmill...(or was that some new spying device?....I dunno...8) )

TSA agent ?...Maybe...?

It did get my attention when I saw it out of the corner of my eye.

It was in a Bank parking lot, in a Major shopping area....In broad Daylight.....8)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my immediate observation was not a single one that I saw had any kind of retention mechanism on it. Now, I dunno if they make them with retention mechanisms or not,
IIRC, someone has a Blackhawk! Serpa DLH for sale in the classifieds right now.

If they made one for my .22 pistol, I'd probably wear a DLH while on the tractor. Having it in a DLH would probably be safer than carrying it in the bib pocket of my overalls, and a belt/IWB holster just doesn't work in this situation. For some reason, the stupid gophers like to run out across the just-cut swath when I'm cutting hay, and the damage the little beggars do to the field is worthy of a .22LR boolit...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, someone has a Blackhawk! Serpa DLH for sale in the classifieds right now.

If they made one for my .22 pistol, I'd probably wear a DLH while on the tractor. Having it in a DLH would probably be safer than carrying it in the bib pocket of my overalls, and a belt/IWB holster just doesn't work in this situation. For some reason, the stupid gophers like to run out across the just-cut swath when I'm cutting hay, and the damage the little beggars do to the field is worthy of a .22LR boolit...

They are taunting you! :D

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? Really. REALLY?!?

This isn't your quote? you didn't post that? I'm not supposed to understand how inference works?

View attachment 33434
This is a tool. Don't be one.

I wasn't accusing you of ridiculing him, but apparently I was mistaken? I guess you were ridiculing him they way you took my comment. I don't presume to know what the best way for somebody else to carry their gun is. I was just looking for your reasons why you think it's not a good idea or practical. There have been other comments in this topic that have stated opinions. Oh, and no, I don't carry my gun in a drop leg holster, so it's not like I'm looking for a pissing match.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drop legs are mediocre at best even for a tactical or SHTF situation. The location of the grip and pistol is is constantly different. The pistol is rarely in the same position at any time other than standing stationary.

I'd go vest mounted before drop leg but my preference is truly belt carried OWB holster for OC. I believe vest mounted is also legal. Go walk into your local Walmart with a FDE vest mounted rig and see if no one calls the police.

img01.militaryblog.jp_usr_parabelllum_1010574_04_s.jpg

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drop legs are mediocre at best even for a tactical or SHTF situation. The location of the grip and pistol is is constantly different. The pistol is rarely in the same position at any time other than standing stationary.

I'd go vest mounted before drop leg but my preference is truly belt carried OWB holster for OC. I believe vest mounted is also legal. Go walk into your local Walmart with a FDE vest mounted rig and see if no one calls the police.

img01.militaryblog.jp_usr_parabelllum_1010574_04_s.jpg

this is why i asked the question that I did. as another option, consider a tanker shoulder chest holster in leather. it has the flap that covers the pistol, and is very secure. also keeps the weapon out of the way allowing plenty of mobility

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I ask why you don't go with a highly reviewed and recommended hip holster?

Drop down would be some bucks, and that could buy you a very high end holster for your hip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom