Dumb rifle caliber reloading question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between 2 die, 3 die, and 4 die sets.

I bought the Lee Ultimate 4 die set for when I get all my gear rounded up to start reloading .308win.

My question came up because I know eventually I will reload for 30-30 as well and I watched a video on it and the guy was using a RCBS 2 Die set. Just wondering how you get all the steps done in a 2 die set versus a 4 die set.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not crimp my rifle or pistol rounds.
I tried it but accuracy suffered.
But if you have uneven bullet seating pressures you may find accuracy in crimping.

When you seat the bullet into the prepped case go slow and notice how much force the press arm needs to seat the bullet.

If you feel one seating very easy and another one taking quite a bit of force to seat then your accuracy will suffer .

Crimping may help.
I found more brass prep helped and making every case exactly the same.

Have fun in this deep pit of hand loading.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
But if you have uneven bullet seating pressures you may find accuracy in crimping.

When you seat the bullet into the prepped case go slow and notice how much force the press arm needs to seat the bullet.

If you feel one seating very easy and another one taking quite a bit of force to seat then your accuracy will suffer .

Crimping may help.

I haven’t even turned a single round out yet and my OCD is kicking in.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PanhandleGlocker Where most people have the biggest problem is you need to trim all your cases to the same length,
If not properly trimmed, one gets no crimp, next one heavy crimp, next one medium crimp. 5-10 thousandths on neck length don't sound like much
but really effects accuracy.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Crimping may help.

How many dies is that a 2 die, 3 die, or 4 die set. Oh nevermind

Latest posts

Top Bottom