Eating Aoudad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my buddy and both scored on free range aoudad in Texas. Already prepared the first meal out of a piece of backstrap, and as I’ve found to be the case more often than not the tales of horror and dread regarding some types of wild game meat is completely false!

Before cooking the aoudad I was told by a friend who had actually eaten them that he finds them milder than deer but tougher cuts. I would say he was spot on.

I made stir fry out of the backstrap and the flavor was superb but tenderness was certainly not a quality it enjoyed. Mind you this was off a ram that was probably 8-9 years old

I plan on smoking a shoulder tomorrow. That oughta be nice and tender. As good as the flavor was I plan on grinding all the hind into burger. My friend that has eaten several says he prefers it to deer burger.

I realize it’s only one meal but the aoudad is inedible tale is pure malarkey IMO.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was hunting in west Texas out near Ozona. Family friend leases a place out there. Few pics of our hunt.

IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_0427.jpeg
IMG_0450.jpeg
IMG_0432.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had some roasts made from my first elk many years ago. So tough you couldn't chew them enough to swallow. Sliced them about 1/2" thick, used a meat hammer and made some great chicken fried steaks.
I'm betting the tough meat on the audad would work with this same method.

Latest posts

Top Bottom