Elk,Stag, or Ivory Grips??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Give me the Pro's and Con's you've had with these type of grips. Also post up any pictures of your grips...Elk,Ivory, or Stag.

Elk....I like the smooth to 2/3rd bark grip. Ones I like...lower bottom right side.
http://grashornsgunworks.com/id4.html

Stag....If I go with stag...I like these.
http://www.elenhunting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EHOS&Product_Code=FEPCRSSSG&Category_Code=SG

Pre-Ban Ivory. One piece grip...not split in two with a screw in the middle. Maybe carved?
#25-27, #64-68, 93&94....... Click on Ivory Gripshttp://www.nutmegsports.com/

I have a few phrases that I might get engraved in the Ivory grips.

Advocatus Diabloi ....(The Devils Advocate)

Ultima Ratio Regum....(The Last Resort)

Neca Eos Omnes, Deus Suos Agnoscet....(Kill Them All, God Will Know His Own)

Componere Lites....(To Settle Disputes)

Here is the gun that I'll slick up....maybe even have it engraved and re-blued.
Colt SAA 3rd Generation..45LC
IMAG0061.jpg

Cohiba

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a set of Sambar Stag grips on a 3" Uberti Schofield.I love the look and feel.I only gave.....are you ready......$80 about 13 years ago.I'd like a set for my 7 1/2" Schofield but the price is out of reach now.I gotta say I'm very fond of real ivory also.I haven't handled any elk but it's WAY less expensive than the other two.

Cohiba,that's a pretty Colt.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this is a tough one. I'd say if you are planning some engraving the ivory would be the ticket. That is a nice SAA!

I'm struggling with a grip swap on a replica 1851 Navy conversion. I think I've about settled on refinishing the grips that are on it but adding the silver snakes ala The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would get the Elk smooth no bark, or the Ivory. As to the SAA, I wouldn't get it engraved, unless your going to send it to a real craftsman(That will be about as much if not more than that SAA is worth)!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the elk or the stag.

For Advocatus Diabloi, devil is spelled "diaboli". Im pretty sure you just made a typo but I hate to see it misspelled in case you didn't know. I like your latin phrases they are really good. I have a list of phrases to put on my saiga 12 and im going to add yours to the mix as well if you don't mind.

Here are some other phrases:

cum grano salis occidi- with a grain of salt I kill
in Deo speramus - In God we trust
nosce te ipsum - know thyself (BG will have eternity to reflect on his decisions)
non sibi sed suis - not for one's self but for one's own
semper paratus - always prepared

Good Luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom