Elon Musk's Neuralink brain chip 'Telepathy' implanted in first human

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elon Musk's Neuralink has implanted a brain chip in a human for the first time.

According to Reuters, on Sunday the first human patient received a chip implant from Neuralink. Per the outlet, citing Musk, the unnamed individual is recovering well.

Musk took to X and reported that "initial results show promising neuron spike detection."

In later posts, Musk called Neuralink's first product "Telepathy," going on to describe the device in a follow-up post as a way to control "your phone or computer, and through them almost any device, just by thinking."

His posts: "Enables control of your phone or computer, and through them almost any device, just by thinking. Initial users will be those who have lost the use of their limbs. Imagine if Stephen Hawking could communicate faster than a speed typist or auctioneer. That is the goal."

The BBC uploaded a video to YouTube, further explaining the process. Per the BBC, the device uses neuron signals, which are delivered wirelessly to an app that can then "interpret a person's intentions."

Per Reuters, spikes are activated by neurons, cells that use chemical and electrical signals to relay information from the brain to the body. The outlet reported that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USDA) gave Neuralink clearance to conduct its first human trial last year, adding that the startup's ultimate goal was to help patients suffering from paralysis and other neurological conditions regain some independence.

According to the outlet, Musk's Neuralink has faced criticism for its safety protocols, with the company being fined for violating the U.S. Department of Transportation's rules regarding the movement of hazardous materials.

https://ktul.com/news/offbeat/elon-...nals-waves-test-testing-cincinnati-human-amp#

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was paralyzed and don’t have any semblance of a real life, I might consider it. Do you really think some nefarious agency is going to track a severely disabled person. The paranoia runs deep here.
I agree. I have known a couple of quads that something like that, if it worked, would be a real blessing. I can not see it for healthy people but someone paralyzed, yes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom