Engine Rebuild/Replacement Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
2004 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0l Level 2.

It's still in great shape inside and out, 260k on the engine. While waiting on my son to get out of practice one afternoon I kicked the seat back and took a nap, engine running ac on. During that nap, I sprung a coolant leak.......I was woken up by the sounds an engine about to melt down. :bah: With the current used truck market, it will be cheaper to fix than buy another one with who knows how many miles on a used engine. Suggestions appreciated, distance doesn't matter if they are legit about their work. Thanks.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There used to be a pretty solid market for doing engine swaps into Rangers. Back when I had a '97, I seriously looked at putting a 302 in it. I even had the parts sources lined up, but I ended up trading it for an F-150, so I never went anywhere with it.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reman engines from good shops are hard to get. Not sure about a 4.0. I have 2 V10's on order for going on 4 months amd they still aren't sure when they will be ready.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2004 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0l Level 2.

It's still in great shape inside and out, 260k on the engine. While waiting on my son to get out of practice one afternoon I kicked the seat back and took a nap, engine running ac on. During that nap, I sprung a coolant leak.......I was woken up by the sounds an engine about to melt down. :bah: With the current used truck market, it will be cheaper to fix than buy another one with who knows how many miles on a used engine. Suggestions appreciated, distance doesn't matter if they are legit about their work. Thanks.
That 4 liter engine is a dandy as the 260000 indicates. The simplest think may to find another one in salvage and rebuild it. I’m assuming that engine is beyond repair. Again that engine is one off the best fomoco ever made and are torque monsters

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is probably both. I am the service mananger at diesel shop. I struggle daily with the shortage
of quality help, and availability of parts. We are taking major componets to the machine shop
that we never would have before. Right now, most heads, cams, and pistons are non existent.
It is hard to find reliable help, let alone some that is experienced on diesel engines.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
i would investigate your present engine. it might not be as bad as you think. maybe a new head some pistons and machine shop work to rebuild what you have???
Yeah, I'm looking for a place that will do that lol. I've got a 66 bronco torn down in my shop, so this one is going elsewhere to get fixed, or that's the plan anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom