Escarpment Live Oak Saplings, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Peaches, plums, apples, pears do very well. A Fig Tree will do well, you may need to get one in a tub you can put inside for winter. Apricots

Don’t over look things such as Strawberry plants, blueberry blackberry, Sand Plums (Sand Plum Jelly!!) and a lot more , easy to little care needed and will provide the sustenance you mentioned.

Everybody likes the Commercial apples in the Grocery Store, fine & dandy, but what I call the native apples put out fruit like crazy. They’re usually smaller and less attractive to look at but they do really well, lots of benefits to grow. Hardy tough problem resistant etc. these usually taste really good!

Try to get a lot of Dwarf to Semi-Dwarf, easier to pick, but still get normal height trees too. Always get at least 2 or 3 or 4 of each whatever because of pollination needs.

You should talk to your local County Extension Office and Agent. I’d insist on speaking to that particular person instead of staff people for what fruit trees wil grow well there near you.

https://extension.okstate.edu/county/garvin/
I would talk to the County Extension Agents of Greer County, Jackson County, Beckham County and Kiowa County. Again THE agent instead of regular staff. Specifically for these Counties, they surround Quartz Mountain and should be able to talk to you about the trees you mentioned.

My Dad ran the Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station next to Quartz Mountain/Lake Lugert and I was born and raised in Greer County, Quartz Mountain/Lugert Lake was where I ran all over as a youth. Love that area! Beautiful. My parents had a commercial green house & nursery in Greer County. Sadly they’ve been gone for years now.

Google for Neil Sperry Dallas North Texas. Probably the best agronomist alive. He’s on WBAP radio in Dallas. Tons of books , several great websites, books etc. You’re one hour from North Texas, should be a great resource to you.

I follow the Arizona Rare Fruit Growers (google them) amazing old wonderful fruit trees shrubs etc varieties and the California Rare Fruit people too. Google them. We share similar climates with some of their areas. Great resource. These folks have toiled for generations to save the old varieties that taste so good.

Best wishes to you.

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just left one of my local hangouts and Lori said they just got in a shipment of trees which contain live oaks, type unknown as I was on lunch and they were busy and short handed. Shawnee feed and seed. 405 214 3333 , they have a vet discount if you ask. They have a nice selection currently. Prices have sure increased, fjb..

masseurman4ever

New to the site!
Reaction score
Looking for some Escarpment/Quartz Mountain Live Oak Saplings. I believe the correct terminology is fusiformus. They’re the northern most isolated population of live oaks and can withstand the Oklahoma winters. I’m wanting to plant several, but the only place I’ve been able to find, Sunshine Farm & Nursery in Clinton, is sold out until the fall of ‘24 crop is ready (and they won’t sell me acorns). I’m hoping someone on here may have some direction for me.

I’m also looking to plant some fruit and/or nut trees that will do well in S Central OK, other than pecan (got plenty of those around). This will be a small grove behind my house that I will intersperse with small gardens in between. I’m wanting hardy trees that won’t take lots of care, but provide some passive sustenance for us.
Ok, so getting a texas live oak quercus fusiformis, isn't as hard as you think but..you are wanting the more cold hardy oklahoma live oak, which is also a quercus fusiformis. Ratings on hardiness are a little better for the oklahoma, versus Texas but..oklahoma tend to be more scrubby and smaller. The oklahoma are hard to find..I mean soo hard. Alligator Alley nursery in OKC sells hardy tropical plants for the oklahoma area, and does ship. Be ready to pine and beg, unless you just drive to oklahoma and get you one. I suggest the latter, or just get the texas variety fusiformis, which is pretty darn hardy..probably more mature handling -10 degrees. Oklahoma Arbuckle mountain variety can handle -20 degrees. Hope this was helpful...good luck.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so getting a texas live oak quercus fusiformis, isn't as hard as you think but..you are wanting the more cold hardy oklahoma live oak, which is also a quercus fusiformis. Ratings on hardiness are a little better for the oklahoma, versus Texas but..oklahoma tend to be more scrubby and smaller. The oklahoma are hard to find..I mean soo hard. Alligator Alley nursery in OKC sells hardy tropical plants for the oklahoma area, and does ship. Be ready to pine and beg, unless you just drive to oklahoma and get you one. I suggest the latter, or just get the texas variety fusiformis, which is pretty darn hardy..probably more mature handling -10 degrees. Oklahoma Arbuckle mountain variety can handle -20 degrees. Hope this was helpful...good luck.
Where would I find the Arbuckle Mountain variety? I’m in south central Oklahoma area

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy and I got super into gardening/backyarding a few years ago. We visited the refuge by Lawton, Quartz Mnt state park, and Kiamichi. Literally picked seeds and acorns off the trail.

Years later, we have 6 ft tall live oaks grown from seed. Mine still in the 30 gallon pot I planted it in. Gave a bunch of yearlings as xmas presents. If you want native hardy trees, just go pick up what you want off a trail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom