Ever have trouble w/Shepherd scopes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reciently mounted a Shepherd P-3 on my custom 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird, and cant get the scope to adjust elevation past 24" high at 200 yds. Checked mounts, changed scope to Leopould variex 2 on same mounts, ans she started shooting 1" 3 shot groups at 200. Got too much tied up in the Shepherd to just leave it on top of the gun cabinet.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confused- did you zero at 100 yds, then use the BDC...? Its been a looong time since I messed with a Shepherd, but with the ranging reticle, I'm not getting why you're needing 24" of elevation. If it's out of spec, Shepherd used to be good about making things right.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confused- did you zero at 100 yds, then use the BDC...? Its been a looong time since I messed with a Shepherd, but with the ranging reticle, I'm not getting why you're needing 24" of elevation. If it's out of spec, Shepherd used to be good about making things right.

Have e-mailed Shepherd 4 different times, heard nothing. Been over 2 months.
I was actually zeroing the 100yd recticle at 200. The Warbird has a 30" barrel & I'm trying to stretch it for all it's worth. Have a hay meadow on the family farm that's over 3/4 mile long, want to be able to reach all the way across. The coyotes have learned to stay out of range of my .308(at least w/me sooting it, My Dad, being an old Recon sniper can whip my a** with my own rifle!)

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, at 24" of required elevation, that's 96 clicks in one direction. I couldn't find info on the total elevation available for Shepherd in a quick search, but I don't know that you'll have 200 clicks total available with a BDC scope. I may be completely wrong on expected/available elevation, but BDCs are meant to be zeroed at a set range- change the zero, and you bought the wrong scope.;)

Unless someone at Shepherd told you that the ballistics on the Lazzeroni match the .30 cal something starting at 200...

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the scope centered windage wise? Having the windage at the exact center of adjustment (same number of clicks of windage available to the left and to the right) will give you the maximum amount of elevation adjustment. Is this a 1" scope tube, or a 30mm tube? Are you using a long range scope base such as a Badger Ordnance that has a built in 20 Minute elevation already built in?

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the scope centered windage wise? Having the windage at the exact center of adjustment (same number of clicks of windage available to the left and to the right) will give you the maximum amount of elevation adjustment. Is this a 1" scope tube, or a 30mm tube? Are you using a long range scope base such as a Badger Ordnance that has a built in 20 Minute elevation already built in?

It a 1" tube using leopould 4 screw mounts. she's hitting dead center on vertical crosshair, 24" high at 200yds, can't even adjust the horisontal crosshair low enough for the laser bore sighter at 50 yds. Thanks for the info on the long range mounts though. Didn't know some were made that way, knew there was a difference between the height of the front and rear mounts on a old Mod 70 Winchester, but that was all. Did mic mine, both front and rear are 1.245" from top of action, w/rifle action leveled on vice(6" magnetic level) mounts are level too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom