Favorite Aircraft of WWII

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
johngushue.typepad.com_photos_uncategorized_spruce_goose.jpg

It's WWII related :)

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tigercats, Skyraider and the Spruce Goose? C'mon guys. Let's stick with the theme. The planes need to have been in combat operations during WWII.

World War II-related? Every plane flying today can trace some of its origin back to WWII. Focus people. Focus...

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget the C-47 transport. Dropped many paratroopers and towed many gliders as well. Used for civilian transport as DC-3 Used in Vietnam as AC-47 gunship and still can find them flying today. Not very glamorous, but very versatile.

My grandpa was C-47 aircrew. I did an interview with him for a project once, and of all the places he was and events he saw, he said one of his most vivid memories was being the only one in the back while flying over an Italian village at night, and how serene it was.

His plane carried 507th PIR guys in Mission Boston. C-47's did a lot or work in WWII.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Incidentally, this painting depicts P-47s from the 9th AF, 406th FG, 513th FS. This was the group my grandfather flew in. In fact 'Big Ass Bird' was flown by Howard Park, who was my grandfather's flight leader on at least 8 occasions.

I believe this painting shows the action of the 406th in December 1944, during the famous 'Battle of the Bulge'. The 406th was the only group to get airborne during the bad weather during that period. According to my Grandfather's flight records, he checked out 8 500 pound bombs during the days between 12/16 and 12/29.

He passed away four years ago, but I did get him to share some experiences with me. He was not very positive on his experiences. The 9th AF flew tactical missions, so strafe and bomb was his primary role. He saw stuff that haunted his memories well into his mid 80's. He never cried under normal circumstances, but he told me a story of strafing halftracks full of Wehrmarct solders in the Falasie gap that made him sob with regret.

RIP 1st LT. Eugene Rhodes

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that story about your grandfather. I've visited with some WWII pilots as well who shot down enemy planes. They would become quite emotional when retelling those stories of aerial combat. Nothing is very glamorous in war, even in the air. I can't imagine the horrible things these guys saw and experienced. God bless them all.

jescates

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. B-17 Flying Fortress
2. B-29 Super Fortress
3. C-47 ( Grandparents met at Douglas aircraft aka. Tinker AFB)
4. F4U Corsair
5. B-25 Mitchell
6. P-51 Mustang
7. FW-190
8. ME-109

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love them all, now, think of the technology today with the wonderful fighter/bombers we have now, and then look back at the techs the engineers and all of what they had to work with then and they were working on it 24/7 to give our people we needed the best tech for our pilots. They all are amazing. Have said this before and won't go into it again, but well let us say they had people, going out to the combat areas of air warfare to constantly update the engines, aircraft and pilots. Had the pleasure of knowing a few from the old days. These pilots and their ground crews and all behind them were endlessly heroic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom