FDA and CDC bureaucrats stopped private and academic diagnostic tests from being deployed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"As The New York Times reports in a terrific new article, officials at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stymied private and academic development of diagnostic tests that might have provided an early warning and a head start on controlling the epidemic that is now spreading across the country.

As the Times reports, Seattle infectious disease expert Dr. Helen Chu had, by January, collected a huge number of nasal swabs from local residents who were experiencing symptoms as part of a research project on flu. She proposed, to federal and state officials, testing those samples for coronavirus infections. As the Times reports, the CDC told Chu and her team that they could not test the samples unless their laboratory test was approved by the FDA. The FDA refused to approve Chu’s test on the grounds that her lab, according to the Times, “was not certified as a clinical laboratory under regulations established by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, a process that could take months.”

In the meantime, the CDC required that public health officials could only use the diagnostic test designed by the agency. That test released on February 5 turned out to be badly flawed. The CDC’s insistence on a top-down centralized testing regime greatly slowed down the process of disease detection as the infection rate was accelerating.

The Seattle Flu Study illustrates how existing regulations and red tape—sometimes designed to protect privacy and health—have impeded the rapid rollout of testing nationally, while other countries ramped up much earlier and faster. Faced with a public health emergency on a scale potentially not seen in a century, the United States has not responded nimbly."

https://reason.com/2020/03/11/how-g...ting-and-made-the-coronavirus-epidemic-worse/

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, Andy cuomo has been making the rounds lately. He’s surprisingly out of character with his latest comments
Interesting. I was listening to the New York
Governor lamenting along a similar line of thinking. I thought how ironic - a liberal Democrat arguing for State rights over Federal control.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if you don't stop any information contrary to what you wish to spread from being disseminated, you stand a good chance of being discredited. I have little faith in what comes out of any non-elected bureaucracy as it is, but when any bureaucracy stymies anything independent of it, I see only agenda that cannot stand against truth.

Our freedom and economy are under attack with the hype over this common cold virus with a dastardly foreboding-sounding name. YMMV, but keep a fair measure of skepticism of what you hear from the 'experts' extolling dire consequences for your life should you become infected. If my appraisal of this 'epidemic' being hyped to fulfill an agenda is accurate, you won't be completely taken by surprise when that agenda turns your world upside down.

You're welcome. Sleep tight, live your life as you see fit, and don't fret a shortage of toilet paper. There are alternative ways to wipe your arse.

Woody

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, Andy cuomo has been making the rounds lately. He’s surprisingly out of character with his latest comments
You want out of character? Here's a UGE dose!

Governor Gavin Newsom praised President Donald Trump on Monday for supporting his state as it assisted with the repatriation of passengers from the coronavirus-infected Grand Princess cruise ship.

Trump and his administration have faced criticism for their response to the coronavirus. But Newsom, who declared a state of emergency in California last Wednesday, shared positive remarks about the way the president had responded and supported the West Coast state as it allowed the Grand Princess, which had 21 infected passengers aboard, to dock in Oakland.

"We had a private conversation, but he said, 'We're gonna do the right thing' and 'You have my support, all of our support, logistically and otherwise,'" Newsom told reporters at a Monday news conference.

"He said everything I could have hoped for," the governor asserted. "And we had a very long conversation and every single thing he said, they followed through on," he noted.

"Every single thing... has been consistent with expectation we'd repatriate these passengers and do it in a way that does justice to the spirit that defines the best of our country," the governor said.

Newsom said that he has received "consistent" support from Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, who is leading the administration's response to the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.newsweek.com/california...s-response-every-single-thing-he-said-1491294

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mark my words. They are going to step in it big time because they just can't help themselves. They are going to say it was Trump's CDC that dropped the ball on this and held things up. Then he's going to get the message out that it took 50 years to get a bureaucracy this big and inept. He'll make them pay. Then he'll set about rolling it back and streamlining it.

There's no better example, many many more, but none better than this, to illustrate why .gov has no business in healthcare. If it were me I'd drop the D from FDA, ditch the NIH, and run the CDC's mission statement through the shredder. I'd roll certain parts of those agencies into CDC and I'd redefine it into an advisory and assistance role only for things just like this. The regulatory authority of those agencies would disappear. And I'd scream it from the mountain tops until Congress got it done. I'd open up an Instagram account even to go along with Twitter.

This lab's goat rope is the perfect example of why .gov should only be able to advise and assist when needed. There are labs, clinics, hospitals, and doctors all over that can get things done. They should be allowed to due so without having to dance with Uncle Sugar. The leftists scream they want socialized medicine. NEWSFLASH! We already have it. We HAVE had it for years...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom