Federal Armament remanned ammo, bad day at the range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I went to sight in my rifle and I bought too small of targets. It's an ATI 9mm carbine and just couldn't get on the 10 inch steel target at 50 yards and I'm just not that accomplished at the rifle so ok. My fault. Then I went to shoot the Glock 19 9mm same ammo. I just couldn't make consistent hits at 15 yards, then at ten I was having the same trouble. I've shot this distance thousands of times and I was off. When I did make hits they were along the edges. I unloaded my gun and just fired it dry to make sure I wasn't flinching. No front sight movement at all. I don't want to make excuses but is it possible the ammo wasn't all that great? I've bought it before and it was fine. Or maybe I just not following the fundamentals. I wish I would have bought another brand before I went so I'd know.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your post title ... Federal "remanned" ammo? I was not aware that Federal remanufactured any ammo.

Could be a bad day of the range and those can be caused many things including a combination of things. Clean your guns and try some different ammo. See if it goes better (and it will).

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they are reloaded new federal brass. I THINK. Guy was selling it at the gun show in McAlester today. I looked it over and it looked good, but I'm always a bit iffy on reloads.
I'm not saying anything against them. It's just me. But if you shoot reloads, and you didn't do them, you never know.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your post title ... Federal "remanned" ammo? I was not aware that Federal remanufactured any ammo.

Could be a bad day of the range and those can be caused many things including a combination of things. Clean your guns and try some different ammo. See if it goes better (and it will).
I got the wrong federal. I just found some cheap stuff online and decided to buy it a few months back and it worked out fine. Then I reordered again last week after buying a new gun and shot it today. It is from this site. http://www.fedarm.com/

Anyways, not sure what was going on with me. Just had trouble making easy shots for me. I will say as soon as I got out of the car I through on some ear pro and shot a 3 inch target my second shot from 15-20 yards. Also made another shot through some trees that was a 3 inch target and was making hits at 10 yards on my 10 inch steel plate. Just a lot harder and none were landing in the center. All on the edges of the steel.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry but I just looked at their site and their labeling "TMJ" and then telling you that they are copper plated bullets is almost a bait and switch IMO. TMJ is Total Metal Jacket. Plated bullets aren't jacketed at all. Their "bonded" lead core are nothing more than coated cast lead from the looks of them. I'd bet that ammo is as crappy as their business model.

To be honest I've gotten better accuracy with a coated lead bullet (overall) than with plated. Plated bullets are a crapshoot. My 686 does OK with them but my 625 throws them like a shotgun pattern at 25. You can get very good accuracy out of a quality coated lead bullet (Bayou, S&S, ACME, BBI, etc.). I've shot thousands of them.

To know for sure you need to put them on paper from a rest.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry but I just looked at their site and their labeling "TMJ" and then telling you that they are copper plated bullets is almost a bait and switch IMO. TMJ is Total Metal Jacket. Plated bullets aren't jacketed at all. Their "bonded" lead core are nothing more than coated cast lead from the looks of them. I'd bet that ammo is as crappy as their business model.

To be honest I've gotten better accuracy with a coated lead bullet (overall) than with plated. Plated bullets are a crapshoot. My 686 does OK with them but my 625 throws them like a shotgun pattern at 25. You can get very good accuracy out of a quality coated lead bullet (Bayou, S&S, ACME, BBI, etc.). I've shot thousands of them.

To know for sure you need to put them on paper from a rest.

This batch was really dirty or something. I felt like I was shooting a black powder at times, so much smoke. The last batch wasnt near as bad. I felt like I was in a bad indoor range with poor ventilation. My throat kind of hurt afterwards and I was outside.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that is one bogus looking website...some of their ammo just looks pretty rough to me. Sorry; get some decent ammo and enjoy the range time more.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that is one bogus looking website...some of their ammo just looks pretty rough to me. Sorry; get some decent ammo and enjoy the range time more.

To be fair I did examine my guns and the end of my barrel had some fouling. Actually there was pieces of lead and jacket protruding slightly from the end of the barrel. I am thinking that is what caused it. Never had any trouble with fouling but then again Im shooting more and more than I ever have.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair I did examine my guns and the end of my barrel had some fouling. Actually there was pieces of lead and jacket protruding slightly from the end of the barrel. I am thinking that is what caused it. Never had any trouble with fouling but then again Im shooting more and more than I ever have.

I've shot thousands of rounds, jacketed, plain cast, plated and coated and can honestly say I've never had anything stick out of my barrel like that. I went almost 5000 on my limited gun and never even cleaned it. I hope that place has one hellacious liability policy because from the sounds of it they're gonna need it at some point.

ETA: Buy reman from Atlanta Arms or Freedom Munitions. You won't have that nonsense going on.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot thousands of rounds, jacketed, plain cast, plated and coated and can honestly say I've never had anything stick out of my barrel like that. I went almost 5000 on my limited gun and never even cleaned it. I hope that place has one hellacious liability policy because from the sounds of it they're gonna need it at some point.

ETA: Buy reman from Atlanta Arms or Freedom Munitions. You won't have that nonsense going on.

I seached for Fouled barrels and there was similar looking pictures. Not many but there was some. Maybe the bullet was out of speck or not cast right?

Ive probably put 5000 rounds through that gun but the last 3 months I have fired 500 rounds a month without cleaning. So I just dont know. Ive never been in this territory but then again I didnt clean my guns every time I got home anyways so they easily could have had just as many rounds through them in between cleans. Just spread out shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom