Finally Got my First Black Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMac

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I finally see enough .223/5.56 ammo on the shelves to warrant buying a black rifle. Got an Olympic Arms 5.56, I think it was the Plinker Plus flat top variant. Next thing I need to know is what sights I should get for it. Any suggestions? My main focus would be for home defense so possibly an AimPoint red/green dot for short range work? EOTech Holosight is really outside my price range but there are other like sights of that persuasion. What do any of you suggest? I really don't want to and can't get permission (!) to pay more for the sight than I did for the rifle.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I couldn't afford (or didn't want to cough up that much) an Aimpoint or Eotech, I'd take a hard look at Primary Arms. They have a reputation for decent red dot sights for not a lot of money. They ship quick, and from everything I've read stand behind what they sell.

BillMac

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers guys. I read a few bad reviews on the TRS-25 but majority were glowing. Just luck of the draw I think. I do like the looks of that Primary Arms sight. Heck, I want to buy the whole gun!! That's an awesome looking piece of hardware! I would go for that setup on iron sights and scope. Thanks again and good shootin'!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you do some research on the AR as a home defense gun. There are some down sides to this application.

Many people have an AR in place for home defense, and it'll certainly do the job, but depending on where you live, it may not be the best choice.

Can't help much on sights. My Bushy has the typical peep sight configuration in a removable carry handle. For me home defense is handguns backed up by shotguns. I live in a neighborhood where collateral damage is a high likelihood with any rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom