Finally Got my First Black Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like what?

3 examples.

Functionality. Article implies that an ar is simpler to use. A pump shotgun isnt more complicated to use than an ar. If anything the shotgun is easier or at least as easy to operate. Thats without bringing a breakover shotgun in that mix.

Reliability. Ive had stove pipe jams in an ar, never in a pump shotgun. Also implies that the shotgun will need attention after long term storage. An ar wouldnt?

High hit probability. Says actionable times in close quarters may not grant you luxury of a perfect shot. What gun on the planet would you want in your hands in close quarters if you may not have a perfect shot? Shotgun is the answer to that question.

Ive lived this scenario. Ive shot a weapon in close quarters while under attack. No chance or time for a perfect shot. im glad I had a shotgun for that. That being said I have an ar, shotgun and a handgun for home defense. The ar is last in that line for me.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 examples.

Functionality. Article implies that an ar is simpler to use. A pump shotgun isnt more complicated to use than an ar. If anything the shotgun is easier or at least as easy to operate. Thats without bringing a breakover shotgun in that mix.

Reliability. Ive had stove pipe jams in an ar, never in a pump shotgun. Also implies that the shotgun will need attention after long term storage. An ar wouldnt?

High hit probability. Says actionable times in close quarters may not grant you luxury of a perfect shot. What gun on the planet would you want in your hands in close quarters if you may not have a perfect shot? Shotgun is the answer to that question.

Ive lived this scenario. Ive shot a weapon in close quarters while under attack. No chance or time for a perfect shot. im glad I had a shotgun for that. That being said I have an ar, shotgun and a handgun for home defense. The ar is last in that line for me.

I have had multiple malfunctions with shotguns, 870's, 590a1, 930spx was so bad I sold it with a disclaimer. My AR has never had any issues.

They are about equal in functionality in my opinion.

I disagree about accuracy, you know shotguns at close range have a tight pattern, yes bigger than 556/223, but if you missed with an AR you would miss with a shotgun in the same situation.

Brings me back to less recoil, more precise, faster reloads and 30 rounds per mag.

All that said, I usually grab my Glock 19 when I hear a bump in the night.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had multiple malfunctions with shotguns, 870's, 590a1, 930spx was so bad I sold it with a disclaimer. My AR has never had any issues.

They are about equal in functionality in my opinion.

I disagree about accuracy, you know shotguns at close range have a tight pattern, yes bigger than 556/223, but if you missed with an AR you would miss with a shotgun in the same situation.

Brings me back to less recoil, more precise, faster reloads and 30 rounds per mag.

All that said, I usually grab my Glock 19 when I hear a bump in the night.

You are probably wrong saying if I missed with ar I would miss with shotgun too. I fired 00 buck at 6ft. 1 of the 9 pellets hit. I will probably get roasted for saying that, but thats what happened. Would the first shot with an ar been the one that made hit? Who knows odds say no. for the record I switched to birdshot in my hd shotty after that.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are probably wrong saying if I missed with ar I would miss with shotgun too. I fired 00 buck at 6ft. 1 of the 9 pellets hit. I will probably get roasted for saying that, but thats what happened. Would the first shot with an ar been the one that made hit? Who knows odds say no. for the record I switched to birdshot in my hd shotty after that.

I'm not worried about the first shot missing. I have 29 more tries left, and I can shoot pretty fast. Also, my house is much smaller that the range, so I have that going for me too.

Why would anyone roast you for saying you are not the best shot out there? ;)

But in all seriousness, I have a pistol by my bedside. It only holds 16 rounds. That's what I use.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the first shot missing. I have 29 more tries left, and I can shoot pretty fast. Also, my house is much smaller that the range, so I have that going for me too.

Why would anyone roast you for saying you are not the best shot out there? ;)

But in all seriousness, I have a pistol by my bedside. It only holds 16 rounds. That's what I use.

Never said I was a bad shot. I can hold my own shooting. I was agreeing with the article that said you dont always have time or opportunity to make a good shot. You may not have the time or the chance to pull the trigger 29 more times. if you only have time to pull the trigger once or a couple of times wouldnt it be better to have multiple projectiles fire with each shot?

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never said I was a bad shot. I can hold my own shooting. I was agreeing with the article that said you dont always have time or opportunity to make a good shot. You may not have the time or the chance to pull the trigger 29 more times. if you only have time to pull the trigger once or a couple of times wouldnt it be better to have multiple projectiles fire with each shot?

Hey, nobody is questioning your skills. Just telling you my thinking is all. I am not a big worrier, or analyzer. I am also not a big shotgun guy. That's all. It's a lot easier to get around the tight little corners from my bedroom to the rest of the house with a pistol than a shotgun. I own two shotguns. A short black one, and my grandfather's old 300 ft Remington. I'm not a big shotgun guy.

Now let's get back to the OP:

Congrats on your new rifle!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom