Firearms Bill of Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I sold a gun to a lady today, we wrote up a simple bill of sale, and a receipt, and then later she talked to her boyfriend and he wanted her to come back and get this form filled out, she emailed it and is going to come back by my work tomorrow.

http://goheeled.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/firearms-bill-of-sale.pdf

Now, I don't see a "problem" with that form, but I don't think I am going to give a complete stranger my drivers license number, or my CCW number, or even my home address for that matter. Furthermore, it's funny to me that that form is a whole lot more for my protection than it is for hers, since I am the seller of the gun, yet her boyfriend thinks it's needed. All I asked for was to see an Ok. drivers license to confirm that she is a resident, and over 21, which is over and beyond what is even "required" since, as far as I can tell nothing is required, except to be sure they aren't a minor.

Thoughts? That's the first time I have ever seen that form, I thought it was pretty stupid to be honest, but will fill out the info I am comfortable with, mainly name and the info off the gun, and sign it because I don't want to be a jerk to a lady who just bought a gun off of me.

DAMAGAN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend and I used that exact Bill of Sale on a transaction we made just so I had something showing where it came from if I ever had to use it. We didn't do a reciept or hand written bill of sale so we used this instead but if it were not a friend of mine I probably wouldn't have asked for his DL#.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure she is just trying to cover her butt from buying a stolen gun.

A bill of sale that is not notorized proves nothing and would not "cover her butt". If she is so worried about it, go to a local dealer, have them log it into their books from you and then she can do the 4473 for the gun. That way she does not have your personal info and she gets run thru NICS so you know she isn't prohibited (but perhaps her boyfriend is). I would have her pay the dealer fee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom