Five Men Agree To Stand Directly Under An Exploding Nuclear Bomb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people seriously misunderstand the actual power and destructive mechanisms of nuclear weapons.

This was a 2 kiloton air burst from over 3 miles away. 2kt is less than 1/5 the yield of the Hiroshima bomb (which was 12-15 kilotons, depending on which reading you believe), and the destructive blast radius at Hiroshima was only about 1 mile.

Airbursts don't generate any "fallout", and at that altitude there was very likely no "mach stem" to create the really big destructive overpressure wave.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 AF Officers + the Photographer

Didn't seem to hurt them. All but two of the six there lived well into their 80's. The photographer lived into his 90's. One died at 71 and one at 63.

In another thread there was a link to an article about a guy who was at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki when the bombs went off. Both times within 1.5 miles of ground zero. There were 150 documented cases of people present when both bombs went off. Only 2 I believe were within 1.5 miles of G0. The guy the story was about went on to father 3 children with his wife (a survivor of the Nagasaki bomb) all of whom were perfectly normal.

So how do you explain the monster Gojira?

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my favorite documentaries is Trinity and Beyond. It's about the development and implementation of atomic weapons (and it's narrated by William Shatner!). I can't believe this didn't make it into it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom