Fixed BUIS vs. Flip-up BUIS on AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im looking for comments regarding co-witnessing irons with a red dot, on a AR carbine.
Ill be running an Aimpoint M2, with a fixed front sight on a 16" middy.

Benefits to running a fixed buis, like a larue? Will looking through a fixed rear slow me down?

I will be using this as a patrol rifle, and I dont see that Ill really need the irons up all the time, as Im not going to be strolling around Fallujah or anything.

Dunno, I dont have much trigger time with optics. Or carbines, for that matter.
I ran irons on an M4 while going through TDSA's Urban Rifle I. Think I did just fine.

Im about to burn several thousand rounds at several rifle classes here in the next month or two, so I want to minimize switching gear around.

knowledgable comments and/or links to other discussions would be greatly appreciated.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently changed my philosophy on this subject. Basically my take is all or nothing. Either run fixed front and rear or flip front and rear. Running fixed shouldn't slow you down once you are adjusted to finding the dot first. The thing I noticed is the front sight. I never even noticed the rear being up. I would stick to a slick sided rear like the LT, DD or Troy though. I have a Troy you can play with if you want. I gotta go to the club Monday to sight my Eothing in.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run fixed front & rear in a lower 1/3 cowitness on my competition AR and it doesn't seem to slow me down. I do have flip front & rear on my M-16 with a Comp M3 Aimpoint, but it's difficult to compare the two apples to apples on acquisiton and transition speed because the rifles are completely different.

I'd tend to agree with Josh though. There's little point in having a flip up rear if you have the fixed front post in the way. The big thing to me is to make sure and set up with a lower 1/3 as opposed to absolute cowitness, particularly with fixed sights. JMO, YMMV

I did install a NM front post on my fixed setup so it occludes less of the target and that seems to help.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my $.02 is also go either both one way or the other. Both my AR's that I have now have flip up's for BUIS. To me the Fixed Front is too much of a distraction when I've tried other rifles before I made my purchases. Again, Just my $.02

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running fixed front and rear with an absolute cowitnessed EoTech and I honestly don't even notice the sights. I had a LaRue riser for the optic which raised it to lower 1/3, but I was already so used to irons that it was natural to look through the rear instead of over. So the riser got yanked.

Anyway, I've got a BCM 16" middy coming that I think I'll end up putting a T-1 with a flip up rear and a fixed front. I think I'd like to get the clutter of the rear out of the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom