Freezer freon leak repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have located the leak. Extremely delicate location. Capillary tube.
I know how difficult this will be. It is right at the bend where it is soldered to the suction line
IMG_20230706_181847905.jpg
IMG_20230706_181835980.jpg

I don't know if I'm skilled enough. It's been a long time since I done any brazing. Risk is plugging the tube, burning through, oxidation inside. Just a terrible job to attempt. It is a free freezer and I know it was working 10 minutes before I moved it. Verified the leak .

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My plan is to try and unsolder it from the suction line so I can go ahead and complete the break. Then put a section of tubing (coupling) over it so solder doesn't plug the capillary tube. Plus it gives me a little extra heat sink to prevent burning through.
With such thin tubing there isn't much room for error.
Laying on the floor isn't going to help matters with limited movement.
I've got it blocked up in the back leaning forward to give me a little more sight picture.
I've ordered copper tubes in various diameters and some silver solder wire.
I wish I had some dry nitrogen to run through the system while soldering. Prevents the oxidizing inside. That's standard procedure in HVAC when soldering on tubing. Prevents the black flakey crap inside the lines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom