Gas block issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I recently acquired a varmint style AR. The upper is a Model 1 24" Varmint, with a 4 rail gas block.

I was just out shooting and heard a "bang" but without the correct recoil (no bolt movement), sure enough, pull the bolt back, and empty case is ejected. Weird. I checked the bore, no blockage (I'd also watched the bullet hit, but I preferred not to assume), so I cycled the bolt, picked up another round, and "bang" again, but no bolt movement. Strange. I looked forward, and the gas block is at a 45* to the left. No wonder the bolt wasn't cycling. Anyways, the screws in the bottom of the block had stripped out completely.

I just now pulled the bolts out of the block, and it appears they were only engaging 2-3 threads into the block, so no surprise on them stripping out.

Now, I think if I just use longer bolts there is still plenty of threads left, or should I start over with a new block?

Looking at the Model 1 site, this block doesn't appear to be one of theirs, it is a 4 rail block, with the bottom rail split acting as the "clamp." I'll post a pic ASAP of mine. Here is their page:
M1S Rail Gas Block Page

***ETA***
Quick search gave me this, this is the closest I've seen so far, but it is for a .750" barrel, mine is a heavy bull.
Brownells Vulcan 4Rail GB

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Pics

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_AR15_Gas_Block_3.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_AR15_Gas_Block_1.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_AR15_Gas_Block_2.jpg

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like it might have been spread out to use on the bull barrel.
I have one of these & the 2 surfaces that the screws go thru & into are much closer together. Check to see if you can mount anything on the bottom rail, that should tell you if they've been spread.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The bottom rail is barely larger than spec (like .010" or so), and when clamped works fine. Also, the barrel opening is round, I don't think it was spread beyond design (not saying it was ever a good block). Actually, dropping it back onto the barrel, I'd say it was too large if anything, not too small.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a decent amount of thread engegment after the 2 or 3 that are stripped, why not use it until you find one you like better.

I think this is what I'll end up doing. A member has offered to sell me an extra he has, so I may have already found one.

Tap it the next size up and get longer machine bolts or use a Helicoil kit with longer bolts....

Thought about tapping it, but I don't have any. And I'm not sure that going with a helicoil kit and bolts that it wouldn't be almost as cheap just to replace it.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think this is what I'll end up doing. A member has offered to sell me an extra he has, so I may have already found one.

Thought about tapping it, but I don't have any. And I'm not sure that going with a helicoil kit and bolts that it wouldn't be almost as cheap just to replace it.

If you go to the auto parts store or hardware store they will sell the tap by itself without having to buy the whole kit. Can get some sexy stainless torx or star bolts to go back in as well...

Latest posts

Top Bottom