Glenfield/Marlin Model 60

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

Need some help, pics and advise.

As stated, I have a Model 60 that I picked up from a Pawn shop. It was cheap and seemed like a project to start gaining experiance in the rifle world. (I've shot handguns since childhood with my dad, however, never hunted or used a rifle) I followed online vides and cleaned the rifle. I took it to the range...it fired once and didnt eject. I broke it down and had a heck of a time putting it back together!

I tried to cycle a few rounds down the tube and it would only eject one every so often. I've looked at web sights and they talk about the ejector spring. Bending it this way or that.................... I don't want to mess this up any further. I need some detailed. Step by step directions. A clear pick might help.

Thanks

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a Marlin 60 action from a bag of loose parts. Once. Little sucker wasn't easy. That's been a couple years ago so I must have repressed most of that memory. I don't recall doing much with the ejector spring so hopefully some of the other guys will chime in. Good choice on the 60, though. They are great .22s.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good way rule of thumb with the ejector spring is "A nickle high and a nickle wide". A nickle's width to the right, and a nickles width up. Better explained here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388240

Don't feel too bad if you can't get it to run perfectly, my Marlin was made in 1964, mine didn't even have the ejector spring until I updated the feed throat. Even then it still FTE's every once in awhile. Been in my family since 64' though, so it's not going anywhere.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
are you sure its the ejector spring? check the bolt buffer. if its broken or cracked or just hardened with age, they will not eject.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im a Marlin 60 guy. Ill offer you the same as a guy in another thread with a 10/22 issue.

If you have not diagnosed the issue yet, bring it by my classroom Saturday afternoon and Ill check it out for you.

The action inside the receiver is not too complicated but definitely a booger to get together if your not familiar with them.

Sighddan

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
First gun I ever owned is a Glenfield Model 60 my Dad gave me for my 13th birthday. I can't count the thousands of rounds I have put through it over the years. It began behaving as yours is so I took it to two different smiths who both told me to put it in my save, admire it, remember Dad, and accept the fact it either would never feed right or that it was destined to be a safe queen. Ended up buy a Henry .22 to take its place an "retired" it, to be inherited.
If you find out there is a fix please post it. I would love to shoot it again without getting frustrated.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First gun I ever owned is a Glenfield Model 60 my Dad gave me for my 13th birthday. I can't count the thousands of rounds I have put through it over the years. It began behaving as yours is so I took it to two different smiths who both told me to put it in my save, admire it, remember Dad, and accept the fact it either would never feed right or that it was destined to be a safe queen. Ended up buy a Henry .22 to take its place an "retired" it, to be inherited.
If you find out there is a fix please post it. I would love to shoot it again without getting frustrated.

Sounds like you need a new gunsmith.

porscheman2944

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have ended up with 3 of these a John Daily version and a few others I have had feeding issues on the older ones. My newest one is in great shape I took out in trade for some tree work. I will be trying some of these things to get the others up to speed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom