Google Chromebox

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this idea that getting a Chromebox to connect to a big TV with a wireless keyboard might be cool.

Anyone else done this or have opinions abotu Chromebooks and Chromeboxes in general?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This must be a testament to nobody recommending it lol...

My thoughts were that it could be used as a streaming video device, quick internet browser on the TV, streaming music device run through the sound system, app type game do-whacky for the kids and also a video call device over the tv if I could match up a webcam to the tv for two way with the kids when they aren't with me.

It won't take the place of a computer or a ipad really, but serve as an additional home type setup.

Any thoughts? It seems cheap enough and capable of all of that but I'm also noticing some little mini android devices that do similar things for about $100?

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have this idea that getting a Chromebox to connect to a big TV with a wireless keyboard might be cool.

Anyone else done this or have opinions abotu Chromebooks and Chromeboxes in general?

I didn't know there was such a thing.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look up the Roku. It is under $100 and will stream music and movies (Netflix, Hulu etc). It will also allow games (like angry birds). Only thing it won't do is browse. But it is tried and true!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never messed with a Chromebox, but I do use my 360 to do most of the stuff you mentioned, and they are adding a browser soon I believe.

Hmm that's an interesting point... I have a PS3. I guess it will also do most of that too won't it? Do game consoles have keyboard and mice for browsing too?

I am also really big on wanting to do the video conferencing via Skype or something so that I can use it to communicate with the kids when they are at my ex's.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can pick up a keyboard for the PS3. On the 360, you can use the kinect for video and I think there is an equivalent on PS3.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why not just hook a pc to the tv permanently? Thats what we have done for the last 4 months since we had the cable turned off...its been great...You can stream anything you want, no compromising.

I'm posting this from it now...A pc may cost you more than $100, if you dont already have one, but there are no limitations....

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why not just hook a pc to the tv permanently? Thats what we have done for the last 4 months since we had the cable turned off...its been great...You can stream anything you want, no compromising.

I'm posting this from it now...A pc may cost you more than $100, if you dont already have one, but there are no limitations....

That was my thinking with the Chromebook. It's basically a slightly dumbed down PC but all wrapped up in a neat little box and Google updates it automatically all the time and has built in security, etc... you can add USB drives to it for storage and so on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom