Got Out on the Lower Illinois Saturday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just getting time to show some pics. My brother and I went over and spent the night with my parents at Muskogee last Friday night and got up early and went to Webbers Falls and put the boat in. Went into the mouth of the Illinois and saw shad surfacing and caught more than we needed with 2 throws of the net. Went to my brother's favorite spot and threw out the anchors and put out 3 poles with shad. This fish was the first bite we got that morning. 36" long and 21 lbs.

We kept fishing till about 11:30 and only got one other bite and could see the fish was a little one and couldn't get the big shad in its mouth. We did run the banks a little while and shot a few carp.

Went to the folks and took a nap and then went back out there about 6:00 pm. Caught some more shad but it was harder to find them that night. Went back to the spot and anchored and began to get some bites pretty regular. I hung into a good one and when he took off hard the line broke. Must have had a bad place in the line. He got hook, swivel and sinker. I caught another one in a little while and it was a 6 lber. We fished till after dark but they quit biting about dark. I didn't get a pic of the smaller striper. My brother has been trying to catch a big one for several years and every time he takes someone, they catch a big one and he doesn't...so he was really excited to land the 21 lber. I was scared I was going to mess it up trying to net it. We had a great time and it was nice on the river that day.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
was there with the wife a few weeks ago.. not runnin any water and the arkansas filled it up and made water dirty and warm(er)
but a couple weeks before that i was there with a buddy and we got into a bunch of pan friers..
ran trotlines below I40 bridge and kicked their butts..
got a striper on catfish liver on the trotline
I used roostertails when we got the pan friers..

I hooked something with the rooster tail and thought it was the bottom...until it swung the boat around..came off though after 30 seconds of FUN!!!
Excellent job on your catch...

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother went back today and said they had not run water in two days and the river was dirty and he never got a bite.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Top Bottom