Got reminded why our flag is so important again today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you sir for honoring another hero. That includes your dad
Thanks Steel. Both my Grandfathers served also. One in Korea and one in WW2. My Mom’s Father earned a Bronze Star for his time in WW2. He was in the supply chain duties. Evidently they got caught In some pretty heavy firefighting and several of the convoy got destroyed, the remaining continued to perform their duties. My Grandfather was a very humble man. I never heard a word of it out of his mouth until shortly before his death. He showed me the medal and told me the horrifying story. It brought a tear to his eyes after all these years talking about the fellows that didn’t make it out.

Regrettably, I never served. I was interested in the AF, but my Dad talked me out of the military. Vietnam really affected him in ways I may never understand. Guess killing isn’t for everyone although it sometimes has to happen so the rest of us can sleep peacefully and free at night. Thanks to all you guys who have served.

Turner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe that came out wrong. It’s kinda sad that the majority or athletes have been working their whole lives for this chance. Ratings are down because of a handful. I saw the opening ceremony of 600 plus athletes with a good majority chanting USA, smiling, and shaking their hands in the air. Guess the few bad apple analogy works
I, like so many others here, have very strong feelings for those who disrespect our country and the opportunities they have by living here. However, I do support those athletes, like the hundreds I saw in the opening ceremony, who have devoted their life to achieving their goals. That is the American spirit that exists in this country. For us to disrespect the true athletes and the Olympic games because of a small minority is the same thing as those who hate us because we have firearms because of the actions of a few who use firearms in criminal actions.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My belief is that those athelets that make the decision to protest during the Ollympics should no longer be supported, NOT because they chose to protest a real or perceived injustice, but because they chose that venue to make their 'statement'. The Olympic Games are about athleticism, not about politics. There are plenty of other places and ways for athelets from the United States to show their displeasure about something, the Olympic Games should not be one of them.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading OP's post. The true heroes never come home. As this time of year rolls around I'm drawn again to think of my maternal grandfather, my family hero that I was never able to meet. He died on Okinawa and is buried on Oahu in the Punch Bowl. As you can see from his grave marker, he died knowing we had won yet never got to come home to his family. His life and death read like that of a hero in a Shakespearean tragedy. I'll write a fuller account later next month.
FB_IMG_1512701166452-616559.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing thing your brother did. Gave his life for this great country. That’s a true hero. My neighbor lost their son to an IED in Iraq several years ago. He was a corpsman and was riding in a humvey when they got hit. Sadly he died. If you ever come to Shawnee his sign is up right when you get close to the exits. They also dedicated south rock creek road out here to him. His name was Eric Warren. He was struggling with what to do with his life and decided to serve. Really sad.

Turner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My belief is that those athelets that make the decision to protest during the Ollympics should no longer be supported, NOT because they chose to protest a real or perceived injustice, but because they chose that venue to make their 'statement'. The Olympic Games are about athleticism, not about politics. There are plenty of other places and ways for athelets from the United States to show their displeasure about something, the Olympic Games should not be one of them.
Fortunately, those are only a very small group. The great majority of the USA athletes are very much there representing us. But, like in most situations, it is the jerks that seem to attract the media attention.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There will always be a ready supply of zeros, fortunately up until now we have produced more than enough heroes.
although the people hailed as heroes these days seem ever closer to zeroes IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom