Guns alone are not Self Defense!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barratt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ldp4570, I agree with you. there are a few gyms in town that have some great training. One that I went to you learned different techniques and then used them to fight with the teacher. i felt think that was a good step in the right direction to obtaining another skill that would come in handy. there are also so many other things you need to know other then guns and fighting to survive in different situations IMHO

:chop:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1000. I actually think of my CC or HD gun as a last resort,and only then as an extension of my arm same as my always on my person knife or any other weapon I may own and keep around. And I dont just shoot my gun at a target and then put it away and be done with it. I include it in my bag of what I have to do to survive workout routines and try to educate myself as much as possible and get in as much training as I can get with what time I have for it. As a former boxer and life long martial arts enthusiast I just dont have a gun first mentality.

For those of us not in law enforcement or never having been in the military you have to realize that alot of us only know what our fathers taught us as kids until we later pay for training. I was lucky in that my father was a career Marine DI/MP as well as a boxing coach and martial arts instructor and after he retired from the Corps a law enforcement officer like his father was. He worked with us with weapons as much as he did the boxing and martial arts. I was never in the military as an adult but I grew up around it and was shown alot of training by my father. Still,I dont mind paying for any extra training I might need,and I do when I can and can find the time for it. I dont think you can ever be fully ready for everything and any training you recieve is always beneficial and worth the money you spend on it.

Still, I do realize that some day when I get old,older than my now 41 years anyways, and I'm not still working out with weights,martial arts, or on the bags boxing, and my body just isnt what it is- I may have to lean towards more gun training and rely on weapons as well as a gun as my primary defense. I will definitely get more training. Its money well spent in my book.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still, I do realize that some day when I get old,older than my now 41 years anyways, and I'm not still working out with weights,martial arts, or on the bags boxing, and my body just isnt what it is- I may have to lean towards more gun training and rely on weapons as well as a gun as my primary defense. I will definitely get more training. Its money well spent in my book.

Bear in mind that what you are describing IS training.

Training does not have to cost money. Training is really more about time and dedication than cash.

What we frequently refer to as "training" is probably more appropriately referred to as "education".

I train every day i.e. dry-fire, live-fire, structure work, mental prep, jiu-jitsu, boxing, lifting, cardio etc. but I spend only a small portion of my time on training that costs money.

When I personally encourage folks to train often, I am referring to a daily activity, not what I get paid to teach each month.

While you do need education, you need training more. Education will not be a substitute for training; they complement each other.

Michael Brown

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Training does not have to cost money. Training is really more about time and dedication than cash.

What we frequently refer to as "training" is probably more appropriately referred to as "education".

I train every day i.e. dry-fire, live-fire, structure work, mental prep, jiu-jitsu, boxing, lifting, cardio etc. but I spend only a small portion of my time on training that costs money.

When I personally encourage folks to train often, I am referring to a daily activity, not what I get paid to teach each month.

While you do need education, you need training more. Education will not be a substitute for training; they complement each other.

Michael Brown

Very true! You can never read to much, you can never tear down your firearm to much, you can never dryfire to much. All can be worked into your daily life. Lots of folks say they don't have enough time, well what are you doing while watching the tube?? Great time to learn to tear your gun down and put it back together, and get to where you can do it without looking down at it.

Practicing martial arts(Shooting is a form of martial arts) empty hands isn't always about dojo practice, how many practice their forms and techinques at home, even in front of the tube or shadow type boxing. Its not always about speed but repetition. Your mind and body should be like a sponge, always keep it open cause you'll always find things that work for you, and should be incorporated into what you already know and practice.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cool. I guess I'm on the right track then because I always have worked hard to find the time to train and am constantly reading everything Ive brought home the last 30 years or more plus buying anything else I can get my hands on to read regarding anything to do with training in various disciplines- including firearms. I guess if you have to have a hobby mine has been learning anything and everything I can about self defense- open,closed hand, and with most any type of weapon. Its a lifetime process though. Even when Ive taken a class some where in whatever I go in and pay my money and keep my mouth shut and my ears open. I'm there to learn not to compare with anyone else what I already know.

I went to a Wally Jay seminar many years ago back home in California when I was half my age and in tiptop shape and was just in awe of what the man could do with seemingly ease at such an advanced age. He obviously had devoted his entire life to his art. I left there with much knowledge but with something money couldnt buy- humility.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess if you have to have a hobby mine has been learning anything and everything I can about self defense- open,closed hand, and with most any type of weapon. Its a lifetime process though. Even when Ive taken a class some where in whatever I go in and pay my money and keep my mouth shut and my ears open. I'm there to learn not to compare with anyone else what I already know.

THIS is what it's all about.:clap3:

Michael Brown

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not trying to brag, but this is my Sensei, who even in his 60's still teaches and rates in competition. John Bolosan. I'm ranked as Shodan under him. Style is traditional Shotokan.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Old_20Pics_JohnandI.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Old_20Pics_ShotokanSembachAB1992.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Old_20Pics_untitled.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Old_20Pics_JohnBolosan.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Old_20Pics_25247_1248079763811_1283954202_3053.jpg

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be the single greatest thread ever...It is so true and so few people take any time to train and gain the warrior mindset. their guns become a comfort shield to them but are useless unless they train....How do you win a gunfight at Carnegie Hall....Practice Practice Practice.... :)

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
training is like guns, you can never have too many or too much. Even if you are a pro, you still need to go back and brush up on your basics, even while taking your current level of training further. If you stop learning, it is because you choose to, NOT because there is nothing left to learn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom