gunsmith help wanted for a minor job ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im sure someone on here is a gunsmith

I'm not quite sure what exactly you are needing from a gunsmith other than advice. The amount of money it would cost to have a gunsmith do a job like what you have in the link would likely cost more than what you paid for the rifle. If you have $200-300 you plan on putting into this, you're much better off buying a newer Savage or a used hunting rifle. It'll be much more accurate and less of a hassle.

Now if you're just doing this for fun and have extra money to blow, then have at it. I would recommend buying the tools (they'll more than pay for themselves when you use them for other projects) or borrow the tools. A drill press is nice, but not needed. Any vice will work, just wrap the barrel or stock in rags to prevent the vice from marring the finish.

I will warn you about using the dragonuv side rail mount. I think someone already joked about this on this thread, but you will literally need to strap a pillow to your stock to get any sort of cheek weld. That mount puts the scope so far high that some people may even have difficulties just getting the tip of their chins on to the stock. Not pleasant to shoot, not very accurate, and getting slapped in the chin from the 7.62x54r recoil is no fun. The dragonuv scope mount is meant for a stock that goes straight back like on the dragonuv rifles, not angled down like the Mosin Nagant. Even Dragonuv rifles use a cheek riser / comb on the straight stock to help with the cheek weld when using a scope with this mount. Basically you are putting a high rise scope mount onto a rifle with a stock that is angled down meant for use of iron sights. Those two things together equals fail, and you're going to need a really tall cheek riser / comb to compensate for it. When I say tall, I mean ridiculously tall to the point of being comical.

Honestly, in my opinion it's about the worst solution to go with if you're wanting a scope on a Mosin Nagant. It's also a lot of work and probably more expensive than the other options for a surplus rifle that will never be as accurate as a newer hunting rifle in the $200-300 range. If you're set on going with that route, I would advise buying a good cheek riser / comb for the stock. You'll need one that sits pretty high and you may still need to wrap a couple of pillows around it ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom