Heading to my farm.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've often wondered about this.

Lets say I'm driving to my private farm out in the country. I have a pistol box with 4 pistols in it in the back of my Durango. I routinely switch between a MP40, a keltec pf9 and a keltec p3at as my CCW. I might also have a K frame in there as well.

My question is this. Since I have my CCW, and these boxed pistols are not in plain sight, must they be unloaded? I'll definately have one in my pocket, but one or more of the other pistols in the box in the back might well be loaded.

Am I in accordance with the law? Or must the pistols in the box be unloaded?
If I am transporting them properly and I get stopped must I announce that they're back there as well?

Thanks for any suggestions and direction.

.ps the only reason they're probably loaded is that when I hit the farm (not actually a farm, more like 600+ acres of wilderness with feral hogs and a confirmed mountain lion sighting) I don't want to have to fiddle around with loading them all up. They all get strapped on before I leave the truck.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks. I've read the SDA handbook, but wasn't totally sure.

I'll usually have 3 or 4 rifles back there as well, but I always transport them unloaded. Only after we get to the parking/camping spot do they get loaded.

It also my understanding that I could have a rifle with a loaded magazine, but without a chambered round, in the cab area as well. Must it be in plain sight, or must it be concealed? I'd like to load up my mossy 500 with slugs and leave it under the seat. Those big hogs don't respond well to pistols.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both the rifle and shotgun if you are a CCW holder may be carried clip or magazine but not chamber loaded (A.K.A. cruiser ready) in the passenger compartment of your vehicle openly or concealed or any variation of partially visible in between.

I'll cite the statutes if anyone has any doubts but this has been covered extensively here several times in the short period I have been a member.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once we get there I strap my 40 on my leg. Have a 9 in one pocket and the .380 in the other. My son generally carries the .357. Like I said, we got some potentially dangerous critters wandering around out there.

3 extra 15rd Mags for the MP40, one extra mag for both the keltecs, and several boxes of .357's for the SW Mod. 19. We tend to take extended hikes and like to hunt turtles all over the property. Not only are their some dangerous critters, there are some HUGE turtles that a .22 just won't kill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom