Help me decide (please read before voting)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What input I am looking for is whether or not you the shooting community believe that

• Yes I want this finish

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Yes you should but I can't afford it.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No, not enough business

Votes: 42 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the more lucrative idea would be to offer nickel Teflon and ion bond finishes. I would pay for that, but would never drop money on a tennifer process. I currently have to send my guns out of state for both of these finishes. My $0.02

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I scanned too quickly, but I did not get a grip on the volume you would require to break even or make a profit on the equipment and supplies you would need to have on hand.

I don't know how extensive your customer base is, and any business decision would necessarily depend in part on that. Also, i don't know the demographics of your customers. Extreme ends might (I doubt this) range from Hi-Point owners to persons who are somewhere above the Wilson Combat crowd. Depends to a great extent on which end of this spectrum holds the bulk of your customers.

As a long-ago Dun and Bradstreet credit reporter (when I was much younger and better looking) I saw lots of folks venture off into neat goods and services that moved slowly and tied up an inordinate amount of their operating money.

For myself, I would probably not use this particular service, but one data point does not a trend make. For that matter, one survey of a forum does not provide enough information to make such a business decision (but I think you already said that).

If you want this available to your customers, and can afford for it to be a slow mover, fine. If it'll be a strain, and especially if there are shelf-life issues, you might temper your enthusiasm . . . CB

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say go for it!!! .... you'd have a real competitive advantage being able to offer Tenifer. which looks very expensive to maintain proprietary salts.

seems like Tenifer is tuffer than ion bond. one is sprayed on and treated at 400f
vs 1000f for Tenifer immersed in salts.

Melonite vs. Ionbond DLC ... an interesting read
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=53670&page=1&pp=10

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
please forgive my inaccurate technical jargon.... Ion Bond is a physical vapor deposit on metal, how ever hard is still a coating. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNHj3EMiJnC44UVdaJyvz09_aiSL3g&cad=rja

vs Tenifer or Ferritic nitrocarburizing is a range of case hardening processes that diffuse nitrogen and carbon into ferrous metals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

my Glock 17 uses Tenifer... vs my S&W 340PD uses Ion Bond DLC
Both are top notch.... Tenifer seems to be tougher

it's not possible to use Ferritic nitrocarburizing on non-ferrous metals like aluminum

ion bond isnt a spray on finish, and I would rather my gun parts not see 1000+ degrees but thats just me

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes... substantial wear on my 340PD mostly on edges. in all fairness, 340PD is on my person all day, everyday. vs Glock 17 sees no where near same amount of wear.

it's hard to even scratch surface of Glock... when I was radius inner edge on Glock's ejection port. slipped with ceramic rod and scratched the Tenifer finish. that's the only scratch on my Glock.

note if you wear through the black oxide finish on Glock... Tenifer treatment is still underneath. vs if you wear through Ion Bond DLC... it's bare metal.

1100f is still below critical temp for steel... for instance when one is heat treating a knife blade... 1600f is typically needed.

each treatment has it's advantages.... both are superior.

Are you seeing any finish wear on your S&W?

Another thing is that the small parts cant be finished with Ferritic nitrocarburizing where as the can with Ion Bond.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GTG... let's say... if both costs the same... would you still choose ion bond DLC (diamond like coating) and why?

seems to be a lack of understanding ... what exactly is ion bond and what is Tenifer. the name ion bond applies to a verity of vapor deposited coatings... of which DLC or diamond like coating is but one many ion bond coatings.

among the most common application of vapor deposited coatings are titanium coated drill bits.... yes ti coated drill bits are tougher... but only until the super thin coating wears through.

now let's really confuse things... Tenifer or Ferritic nitrocarburizing is but one of many processes (each with a different name) available that case hardens steel by infusing nitrogen and carbon into the base ferrous metal at sub-critical temps. then a surface finish is applied, typically black oxide.

both result in very tough finishes... with Tenifer having a substantial edge in toughness purely because it's the base metal that's been treated... not just a coating. both are thin ... both can wear through. 1-4 microns... except Glock which claims .002in or 2 mils

ion bond has the perceived advantage of lower temps ... about 400f vs 1100f (non-critical temp) .... in reality 1100f is not high enough to destroy temper of steel. common example, to heat treat a knife blade 1600f needed before quenching.

ion bond DLC has the very real advantage of bonding to aluminum vs Tenifer will not work on non-ferrous metals.

common use for Tenifer in guns is Glock slides. commonly used ion bond DLC are in 340 M&P and 340PD.

here's a pic of my 340PD with edges worn to raw aluminum
wouldn't be too hard to come up with an equally worn Glock slide

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

I gotta admit, if I'm spending that much, I'm gonna go with IonBond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom